Sign in with
Your question

losing hard drive space

Last response: in Windows XP
October 20, 2007 5:40:39 PM

I have just reinstalled XP over an old installation. everything works fine but the drive is using about 24Gb for the installation and a few old files

According to properties there is:

3Gb in the windows directory
2Gb in program files
about another 2 Gb in various other folders

I know there is about 2Gb for the pagefile and 10% of the drive for Recycle
Does anybody know where the other 8+ Gb has gone. As far as posisble I have cleaned out old identities in Document & Settings

Equipment

Asus P5B
Intel q6600
2 Gb Elixir 800 memory

Seagate 8-Gb scsi
2 200 Gb Maxtor Sata 2 drives
2 DVD RW drives
Nvidia 7600GT

Thanks

October 22, 2007 6:23:40 PM

Do you have a Dell or some kind of brand computer?

They generally take 8GB for their software restore software - you'd have to go in and delete the partition to get it back but you should still be able to see it.

Also, when you buy a 80GB HDD or 120GB, its not really that amount. It will be smaller than stated. 120,000,000,000 is not 120GB technically.

1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes
1,024,000 bytes = 1 MB
Follow it up and you'll see where space is lost with that extra 24k per MB.
October 23, 2007 4:54:33 PM

Thanks for the reply but this is a generic machine. I am talking about used drive space which is of the order of 22Gb with fully updated Windows XP, standard programmes such as AVG and Office 2007. As I said Office accounts for 2Gb, other data files another 2Gb and allowing for everything I seem to have lost about 6-8Gb which I assume are in hidden or system directories some from old packages. Does nobody have any idea where the most likley culprit directories are?
October 26, 2007 2:02:53 PM

System Restore is possibe, volume shadow copy is another possibility.

Windows Updates store their information as well in the root (C:)  under funky key names could also do it.

Its hard to say without actually looking at the computer.
October 26, 2007 2:51:47 PM

I seem to remember an article referring about your situation in Windows Secrets newsletter. Google Windows Secrets, try them.
October 26, 2007 9:43:01 PM

Thanks Riser, The crap was in the System Volume Information and was my old system restores. Because I had re-installed the folder was inaccessible eevn as the new administrator and appeared to be 0 bytes. Once I changed the permissions it was actually 14Gb of which 8Gb were old restores. Deleting the old restore points released the 8Gb. It's easy to forget that when you re-install without reformatting that some folders won't naturally be available to you.
!