Dual boot XP and Solaris 10 from same hard drive? Possible??

Tom92602

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Right now I dual-boot XP and Vista from the same hard drive with an OS
on separate partitions of the same hard drive.

Is there a way to set up a dual-boot with XP and Solaris 10 using 2
different partitions on the same hard drive?

Thanks for the help..

ManojS27

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Ok. Great. :)
Can you please tell me which configuration I suppose to use i.e. (solaris x86/ solaris sparc)?

I have windows XP on C: drive and have to install Solaris on D: drive.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

ManojS27

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Ok. Great.
Can you please tell me which configuration I suppose to use i.e. (solaris x86/ solaris sparc)?

I have windows XP on C: drive and have to install Solaris on D: drive.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Solaris x86. (Sparc is a different kind of processor which is used in some Sun hardware - if you're running XP you definitely don't have a Sparc processor!).

If I were you I would go for OpenSolaris rather than Solaris itself. It's essentially the same, although a slightly more cutting-edge version and is easier to set up. OpenSolaris is available as a live CD, so you can test it on your system before installation.

If you're really nervous you could always install VBox and run Solaris within that; it's very nearly as fast as running it natively and is easier to experiment with.

ManojS27

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for reply.

Can you please send me the link for download of opensolaris live CD?

Please see the below link for VBox

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

can you please tell me for which link I can download and install on d: drive?

Here's a link to the download page for OpenSolaris. You'll want the main download, for x86/64.

As for VirtualBox, choose VirtualBox 3.1.0 for Windows hosts. This is definitely the safest route when playing about. When setting up the virtual machine for OpenSolaris allow it 1GB, or more, of RAM and create a virtual drive of 32GB - that will give you plenty of space (it doesn't use 32GB at first, just what space it needs). Up the video memory to 32MB and be sure to install guest additions once the OS is installed. The help for VirtualBox is pretty good and will guide you through this.

Have fun!

ManojS27

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Many Thanks for your valuable suggestions. :wahoo:

Could you please let me know how much space it requre atmost?
I have 40 GB space available on d: drive.

Also I need of guidance for installation. Can you please send me that link also?

Thanks

As it happens, I installed OpenSolaris in VirtualBox just a few days ago. With all updates applied and a few developer tools added it's currently using 7GB of disk space. A similar mainstream Solaris install is currently using 12GB, but that has a little more software installed.

You shouldn't need any special instructions about installing. Boot from the live CD and there is an "install to hard disk" option on the desktop. The included instructions for VirtualBox should help with setting up the machine. More documentation can be found at http://www.opensolaris.com, or a specific install on VirtualBox document at: http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/2009.06/getstart/virtualbox.html.