Help can't install driver!!

John Letterman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hello,
I'm having a problem installing a AMD processor driver on my Vostro 1000. When I go to install the driver it says that its only for windows XP and up. I'm running W2K (windows 2000). Is there anything I could do to "hack" the installer? or make it install? I can't install XP or anyother OS, So i'm trying to get 2000 to work. Thanks in advance.

You don't actually need a processor driver. There is the AMD one that optimizes dual core performance on XP and Server 2000, but it's not essential and would be irrelevant on 2000. Cool 'n' Quiet is worth having and there is a 2000 version of that.

That sounds like a chipset driver rather than a CPU one. I see that Dell don't supply any Windows 2000 drivers for that particular model so obviously they don't support 2000 on it.

If you're lucky you may be able to find some generic 2000 drivers for your wireless network chipset. Google the appropriate chipset number and see what turns up.

The answer to your original question is that you probably can't get an XP driver to work on 2000. Why does it have to be 2000, not XP? Even XP is almost obsolete nowadays - Windows 2000 is long past its sell-by date.

John Letterman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

When you say "wireless network chipset" what do you mean....like dell wifi card 1395?