Losing Tray Icons

May 11, 2005 9:36:02 PM

H/P Pavillion Labtop 7020 us , XP . SP2 installed when first come out ..
plus uninstalled and installed software with hard copy shipped to me by MS .
I always run scans before downloading updates . Great pc .. bought Brand new
10/30/03 . About 3 weeks ago a problem started ... : when attempting to open
any givin folder from desktop or start menu , the desktops disappear then
immediately reappear thus folder not opening until a second try , then the
folder opens . However after the screen restarts , I lose 3 System tray icons
: ISP , Anti-virus , spyware remover . All remain enabled , though restart is
needed to retrieve tray icons . Scans , cookie removals etc. are performed
and no help . I do not download from websites except for neccessary pc
updating . The pc otherwise runs superb . Thank You .
--
KD

More about : losing tray icons

May 12, 2005 1:37:20 AM

In news:8CE2B172-AD04-47EF-A87D-02D2846C097C@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s> had this to say:

> H/P Pavillion Labtop 7020 us , XP . SP2 installed when first come
> out .. plus uninstalled and installed software with hard copy shipped
> to me by MS . I always run scans before downloading updates . Great
> pc .. bought Brand new 10/30/03 . About 3 weeks ago a problem
> started ... : when attempting to open any givin folder from desktop
> or start menu , the desktops disappear then immediately reappear thus
> folder not opening until a second try , then the folder opens .
> However after the screen restarts , I lose 3 System tray icons
>> ISP , Anti-virus , spyware remover . All remain enabled , though
>> restart is
> needed to retrieve tray icons . Scans , cookie removals etc. are
> performed and no help . I do not download from websites except for
> neccessary pc updating . The pc otherwise runs superb . Thank You .

I think you'll find it's explorer.exe crashing. What to do about it? Well,
not a lot really but there's a solution if you want to try it:

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
From the Edit menu, select New-DWORD Value.
Enter a name of DesktopProcess, and press Enter.
Double-click the new value, set it to 1, and click OK.
Log off your Windows session, then log on.

That will run the desktop in a separate instance which will prevent it from
giving you these problems hopefully. Try it and let me know as that's what
I've used personally to repair these type problems in the past.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 12, 2005 4:16:09 PM

I searched for definition of 'DesktopProcess' , and came up emty handed .1)
What is DesktopProcess ? 2)This process is what shall be typed into the new
value box ? 3) ' Base ' is ticked 'Hexidecimal ' ,,, unticked is ' Decimal'
in edit box . Please confirm Galen . Thank You for previous prompt reply .
--

KD
Related resources

"Installer" <lost_in_70s> wrote in message

> I searched for definition of 'DesktopProcess' , and came up emty handed
> .1)
> What is DesktopProcess ? 2)This process is what shall be typed into the
> new
> value box ? 3) ' Base ' is ticked 'Hexidecimal ' ,,, unticked is '
> Decimal'
> in edit box . Please confirm Galen . Thank You for previous prompt reply .
> --
>
> KD

It's a registry item that you'd add, reboot to take effect, and would set
the desktop process to run in a different instance of explorer.exe which
often clears up odd crashes which had been occurring for no reason that we
can define.

Galen
May 15, 2005 1:48:02 PM

Okay , I need a new registry item to add . I am wondering .. what choice of
registry items are there and ,is the name or code of this ' registry item ?'
And shall I leave 'hexidecimal ' ticked ?' I have not found any info via
searching the how to , of my situation . Thank You Galen .
--
KD

"Galen" wrote:

> "Installer" <lost_in_70s> wrote in message
>
> > I searched for definition of 'DesktopProcess' , and came up emty handed
> > .1)
> > What is DesktopProcess ? 2)This process is what shall be typed into the
> > new
> > value box ? 3) ' Base ' is ticked 'Hexidecimal ' ,,, unticked is '
> > Decimal'
> > in edit box . Please confirm Galen . Thank You for previous prompt reply .
> > --
> >
> > KD
>
> It's a registry item that you'd add, reboot to take effect, and would set
> the desktop process to run in a different instance of explorer.exe which
> often clears up odd crashes which had been occurring for no reason that we
> can define.
>
> Galen

May 16, 2005 8:05:29 AM

In news:8264AAB8-D063-4B09-8E96-D7AF4CC970B7@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> Okay , I need a new registry item to add . I am wondering .. what
> choice of registry items are there and ,is the name or code of this
> ' registry item ?' And shall I leave 'hexidecimal ' ticked ?' I
> have not found any info via searching the how to , of my situation .
> Thank You Galen .

Yup, it's hexidecimal value should be 1. Once done reboot.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 19, 2005 9:07:02 PM

KD

"Galen" wrote:

>> Yup, it's hexidecimal value should be 1. Once done reboot.
>
> Galen
> --

So far so good . Periodical problem . yet to see results . Thank ya' .
May 20, 2005 4:14:02 PM

In news:FF564D3A-F7E3-4F42-9740-3C40E0ED120D@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

>>> Yup, it's hexidecimal value should be 1. Once done reboot.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
> So far so good . Periodical problem . yet to see results . Thank
> ya' .

Periodic problems huh... Are these problems the same as before with
explorer.exe crashing on you? (That's why you were having the icons
disappear probably.)

Below is a bit of cleanup you can do if you want.... It might clear up a few
additional problems.

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa... -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 23, 2005 8:09:03 PM

Hello Galen ,
No . My pc always ran great . I use Norton Internet Security , Ad-Aware
SE , Spy Subtract , Windows Malicious tool ... , Earthlink.net Spy Blocker ,
Which in fact I run spyware scans frequently with both Spy Subtract and
Eathlink.net . remove cookies etc.I use Norton everyday scan schedule , all
clear always . I Analyze first and defranmente when prompted only . Download
neccssary items . Since my last post , This existing problem losin tray icons
, just occoured today , and occoured once last week . Opening from a desktop
and opening a folder from the start menu . The folder attempting to open is
not isolated to one folder or program . I next will practice opening in safe
mode .. this will be trial by error perhaps . Will look at the posted
websites also . I'll be back ..

Thank You ,
--
KD

May 24, 2005 6:25:15 PM

In news:6E172A7A-B508-4A90-A697-E1F04DF3B522@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> Hello Galen ,
> No . My pc always ran great . I use Norton Internet Security ,
> Ad-Aware SE , Spy Subtract , Windows Malicious tool ... ,
> Earthlink.net Spy Blocker , Which in fact I run spyware scans
> frequently with both Spy Subtract and Eathlink.net . remove cookies
> etc.I use Norton everyday scan schedule , all clear always . I
> Analyze first and defranmente when prompted only . Download neccssary
> items . Since my last post , This existing problem losin tray icons ,
> just occoured today , and occoured once last week . Opening from a
> desktop and opening a folder from the start menu . The folder
> attempting to open is not isolated to one folder or program . I next
> will practice opening in safe mode .. this will be trial by error
> perhaps . Will look at the posted websites also . I'll be back ..
>
> Thank You ,

Once a week... It seems I'm attracted to the hard to figure out posts like a
moth to a flame. Ah well. Okay, do you have any scheduled events that happen
once a week? Does this happen after you've done something specific or does
it just randomly happen? While the software choices you gave for your
security aren't what I would personally opt for they are reputable and
should be doing a decent job at keeping you covered. It seems that (and this
is usually the case) you're losing icons in the notification area when the
explorer process restarts due to freezing.

I suppose I can step out on a limb and ask how many running processes you
have (you can get the number from the processes tab of the task manager) on
average. I don't need to know specifically how many there are but just to
see if you're running a lot of them. Before this happens does your system
bog down and the whole taskbar disappear for a moment? I would consider
disabling Norton for a short time and enabling your Windows firewall to see
if the problem goes away. I'd keep an eye on explorer.exe for the time being
as well.

Take a look here:

Start
Run
Type "eventvwr.msc" without the quotes
Press Enter
Click on Application

Look for the red/white "X" Error [application] and see if there's an
explorer.exe error just prior to this occurance.
If not then look for various other errors in that same time frame.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 27, 2005 9:47:26 PM

KD

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:6E172A7A-B508-4A90-A697-E1F04DF3B522@microsoft.com,
> Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> Once a week... It seems I'm attracted to the hard to figure out posts like a
> moth to a flame. Ah well. Okay, do you have any scheduled events that happen
> once a week? Does this happen after you've done something specific or does
> it just randomly happen? While the software choices you gave for your
> security aren't what I would personally opt for they are reputable and
> should be doing a decent job at keeping you covered. It seems that (and this
> is usually the case) you're losing icons in the notification area when the
> explorer process restarts due to freezing.
>
> I suppose I can step out on a limb and ask how many running processes you
> have (you can get the number from the processes tab of the task manager) on
> average. I don't need to know specifically how many there are but just to
> see if you're running a lot of them. Before this happens does your system
> bog down and the whole taskbar disappear for a moment? I would consider
> disabling Norton for a short time and enabling your Windows firewall to see
> if the problem goes away. I'd keep an eye on explorer.exe for the time being
> as well.
>
> Take a look here:
>
> Start
> Run
> Type "eventvwr.msc" without the quotes
> Press Enter
> Click on Application
>
> Look for the red/white "X" Error [application] and see if there's an
> explorer.exe error just prior to this occurance.
> If not then look for various other errors in that same time frame.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>

> Hello Galen ,

I seeked and found lsp fix per internet connection failing , however
I am okay there . I saved the website perhaps download and try later ?
Disabling A/V oh oh . Windows Firewall is always enabled , I may have to try
disabling A/V to learn if the problem persists . I will begin to log date and
time of the losing tray icon occourances . I opened ' Event Viewer '
'explorer.exe ' was not on the list . Today , there were 4 red/white 'X' . In
the 'Type' column it reads 'error' / In the 'Source' column it reads '
Application error ' . There were I believe (4) losing tray icons occourances
today . Bt the way , there were (7 per second) alot of "Warning'
'MsiInstaller' items listed . Shown as far back as 5/21/05 . When opening any
folder , the entire tray disappears , only for a moment . The system has not
boged down . I restart and icons return . I remain internet connected and pc
runs just fine in all areas to . Browsing internet ... never a problem . I do
have 2 scheduled tasks . once per day A/V scan , and once per month update
per software H/P . In 'Task Manager ' Procsses , I see many in 'Image Name'
column , in the CPU column there is activity in some of those names . How may
I give to you the 'on average' running processes here ? I usualy have 4-6
windows running if that is what you are asking . This is my first pc bought
new 10/30/03 . The icon problem started ? Around February ?

I hope this info helps you , Thank You
May 28, 2005 6:31:02 PM

KD

"Galen" wrote:

> Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
> Navigate to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
> From the Edit menu, select New-DWORD Value.
> Enter a name of DesktopProcess, and press Enter.
> Double-click the new value, set it to 1, and click OK.
> Log off your Windows session, then log on.
>
> That will run the desktop in a separate instance which will prevent it from
> giving you these problems hopefully. Try it and let me know as that's what
> I've used personally to repair these type problems in the past.
>
> Galen
> --

Hello , It just finished trying this previous post reguarding the
redgit to HKEY ... and I opened 'Explorer' . Then clicked 'Edit' Then it
hit me .. the last time a window opened to enter ' a name of DesktopProcess '
How do I find this name ? My 2 problems today are .#1 , I double clicked on
the red/white X and a window opened : Desription Faulting Application
explorer.exe version {# I have , I thought to play it safe and not send this
# to post }. continue > faulting module unknown version 0.0.0.0. Fault
address 0x00000081 . #2 , In 'regedit' , I double clicked on a 'Warning'
Detection of product : {showed lots of numbers and letters } followed by > "
HKEY_current_user_\software\Instashield\update service\ does not exist " I
opened 'update service ' and the 'Name' column it reads (ab default) , in
the 'Type' column reads ( REG_SZ ) , in the 'Data' column no info just blank
.. I did have a few crashes today , however I failed to write the date and
time to see if a match would be with the date and time of these 'Error' and
Warning' in redgit.exe . I do not know what 'update service ' is .

Thank You
May 29, 2005 11:48:01 PM

Hello ,

Okay . I have looked into a newsgroup with the word 'MsiInstaller' ,
MsiInstaller is involved with MBSA . I removed MBSA . Lets see if this cures
the problem . Event 1000 and 1001 shows for the Error 'red/white X , source :
Application error . Event 1008 shows for the source 'warning' MsiInstaller .
I double click on MsiInstaller name in 'event viewer' to seek more info which
helped find where MsiInstaller is located . I matched the time of a crash
(losing tray icons) with one of the 'warning' / MsiInstaller . Perhaps
removing 'MBSA' is the solution . However the Red/white X has not matched to
crash time . I will look into this also . In the meantime , the questions
pertaining to previous posts may need answers . I have much more info now
that should help with my questions . Thank you .
May 30, 2005 12:00:01 AM

Hello ,

I double clicked on 'Application error' for more info and MS says this error
applies to * . However , My OS is XP Home SP2 . 1 computer , 1 user .

* APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Looks like I am D.I.W. unless the crash does not re-occour after
removing MBSA .
Thank
You
May 30, 2005 3:10:47 AM

In news:5DD27CD9-C8C2-4235-83C2-FC39A533F20D@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> I seeked and found lsp fix per internet connection failing ,
> however
> I am okay there . I saved the website perhaps download and try later ?
> Disabling A/V oh oh . Windows Firewall is always enabled , I may have
> to try disabling A/V to learn if the problem persists . I will begin
> to log date and time of the losing tray icon occourances . I opened '
> Event Viewer ' 'explorer.exe ' was not on the list . Today , there
> were 4 red/white 'X' . In the 'Type' column it reads 'error' / In the
> 'Source' column it reads ' Application error ' . There were I
> believe (4) losing tray icons occourances today . Bt the way , there
> were (7 per second) alot of "Warning' 'MsiInstaller' items listed .
> Shown as far back as 5/21/05 . When opening any folder , the entire
> tray disappears , only for a moment . The system has not boged down .
> I restart and icons return . I remain internet connected and pc runs
> just fine in all areas to . Browsing internet ... never a problem . I
> do have 2 scheduled tasks . once per day A/V scan , and once per
> month update per software H/P . In 'Task Manager ' Procsses , I see
> many in 'Image Name' column , in the CPU column there is activity in
> some of those names . How may I give to you the 'on average' running
> processes here ? I usualy have 4-6 windows running if that is what
> you are asking . This is my first pc bought new 10/30/03 . The icon
> problem started ? Around February ?
>
> I hope this info helps you , Thank You

In the processes tab, the number given at this point in time is fine. I'd
keep a log and forward it to me here or via regular email should you lose
this thread. From there we'll see what else is possible. As for your event
you can google it and get some responses with it probably.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 30, 2005 3:12:43 AM

In news:FBD02B08-8058-4501-A1C4-ACA6572FE476@microsoft.com,
Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> Hello ,
>
> I double clicked on 'Application error' for more info and MS says
> this error applies to * . However , My OS is XP Home SP2 . 1 computer
> , 1 user .
>
> * APPLIES TO
> . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
> . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
> . Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> . Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
> . Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
> . Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
>
> Looks like I am D.I.W. unless the crash does not re-occour after
> removing MBSA .
>
> Thank You

Sounds good to go. Let's see if it's over with now?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
June 10, 2005 5:27:02 PM

Hello , I am still getting the MsiInstaller ' Warnings and 'errors' and
many .. daily . However , since removing MBSA , no crashes . Folders and
shortcuts respond normal . Thank You Galen .
--
KD

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:FBD02B08-8058-4501-A1C4-ACA6572FE476@microsoft.com,
> Installer <lost_in_70s_tunes> had this to say:

> > Hello ,
> >
> > I double clicked on 'Application error' for more info and MS says
> > this error applies to * . However , My OS is XP Home SP2 . 1 computer
> > , 1 user .
> >
> > * APPLIES TO
> > . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
> > . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
> > . Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> > . Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
> > . Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
> > . Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
> >
> > Looks like I am D.I.W. unless the crash does not re-occour after
> > removing MBSA .
> >
> > Thank You
>
> Sounds good to go. Let's see if it's over with now?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

June 27, 2005 5:09:15 PM

Hello , Still have MBSA removed .. no crashes at all . A fix ! Thank You .
--
KD

!