Sign in with
Your question

Internet Explorer problem, please help....!

Last response: in Windows XP
October 24, 2007 7:51:16 PM

I have an Internet Explorer problem on a machine I built for a friend. When you open a web page I get a "IE has encountered an errror and must close", " do you want to send the info or dont send info", you know the message.
Well it doesnt matter if you click send or dont send, the page closes. Sometimes you can drag the error box to the bottom and continue using the page, but some sites dont work, they just close anyways. This is very annoying and Ive tried everything I can think of to fix it.
Finally i formatted the drive and reloaded. Everything worked fine for her for 5 weeks. Now its doing it again. She has up to date Norton and Pest Patrol Corporate, nothing out of the ordinary found there. The machine runs flawless other than this problem. She did download Google earth and of course it automatically downloaded the infamous "google toolbar", which I promply un-installed both. I dont know if that did something to IE or not but I did set IE back to default settings under internet properties. Im at witts end, can anyone offer ideas?

X2-3600
Msi M-atx w/onboard vid
1gb Kingston DDR2-667
CM extreme pwr 550w
XP pro
October 24, 2007 9:17:54 PM

Have you tried Firefox to see if it encounters similar problems? Generally not a good idea to run 2 security programs at the same time.
October 24, 2007 9:54:05 PM

g-paw said:
Have you tried Firefox to see if it encounters similar problems? Generally not a good idea to run 2 security programs at the same time.

No I havent, I'll try that. Never used firefox.
Norton is for virus and the pest patrol is for pests/spam. Ive used both programs for a number of years thats why I insisted she have them on her computer. I also had those programs on the previous computer I built her.

Related resources
October 24, 2007 9:59:38 PM

G-paw, I installed firefox and it works fine. Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to fix IE?
Anonymous
October 24, 2007 10:44:40 PM

Do you have the Yahoo toolbar installed? I've seen it crash IE.

Grumpy
October 25, 2007 7:38:13 PM

Quote:
Do you have the Yahoo toolbar installed? I've seen it crash IE.

Grumpy

No toolbars installed.
!