Man I DON'T want to go back to windows but

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I may have no choice. I just can't get flash to work properly in Ubuntu. It works a little, on ads and a few videos at youtube but for the most part it still doesn't work. If I try to watch a video say at cbsnews.com it pulls up the video page like it's going to do something and then all I get is the dark screen. No video or even a player ever shows up. Man flash is the it thing on line for video these days. If you don't have it you don't see it. Period. I'm thinking of maybe switching to FreeBSD but that looks like it is far more technical than Ubuntu which I'm having trouble enough with. I have to be able to watch video. What's the point of high speed internet without it? I tried down loading Opera, but that thing sucks. So slow it's pathetic and flash still doesn't work. I'm getting desperate for answers here. I've googled until my fingers bleed and read till I was nearly blind only to lose again. I could really use some help with this issue. I'll take anything. Just something that maybe I haven't seen or thought of. Thanks. Mark

linux_0

Splendid
Code:
Download firefox 3.0.10 [url=http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.10&os=linux&lang=en-US]http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.10&os=linux&lang=en-US[/url] to your home directory

Download the tar.gz version of flash player from adobe.com version 10.0.22.87 for Linux http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/  to your home directory

Go to Applications Accessories Terminal and run all these commands

username@computer:~$ tar jxvf firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2

username@computer:~$ tar zxvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

username@computer:~$ sudo su -

root@computer:~# cd /home/username # replace username with your real username

root@computer:/home/username# mkdir /opt

root@computer:/home/username# mv firefox /opt

root@computer:/home/username# mv install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /opt/firefox/plugins/

Go to Applications Accessories Terminal to open another terminal and run firefox

CRITICAL STEP! Close all firefox windows and make sure it is not running! If your ubuntu firefox is running the next command will simply open the existing firefox and not the replacement firefox

Code:
username@computer:~$ /opt/firefox/firefox

Shoot over to youtube, you should have a working flash player

The flash player can crash firefox, it should not crash your computer

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
ok I'm stuck at the /home/username# mkdir /opt Every time I try it it says no such file or directory Now I never learned dos at all and all of this is dos like stuff so I'm a double newbie here. But this looks like we're trying to create a directory called username#? So far everything is working fine but I can't shut down the terminal right now because there's a process running and I don't want to f it up. by the way I know to replace username with my username.

linux_0

Splendid
The "mkdir /opt" command should actually fail.

mkdir /opt
mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt': File exists

It is there in case you do not have a /opt directory.

"username@computer:~$" and "root@computer:/home/username#", as you probably already know, are the command prompts, they are not part of the command.

Ubuntu shows the current directory as part of the prompt to let you know where you are.

"~" is the current user's home directory.

The common prompt format is username@hostname:CurrentWorkingDirectory followed by $ or #

$ for normal users and # for root.

mv firefox /opt or mv /home/username/firefox /opt # will move the extracted firefox directory containing the 32bit firefox 3.0.10 from mozilla to /opt, so you should end up with firefox in /opt/firefox/

mv install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /opt/firefox/plugins/ or mv /home/username/install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /opt/firefox/plugins/ # will move the flash player plugin to /opt/firefox/plugins/ so that firefox can find it and load it automatically when it starts up.

You can use the filemanager to copy the files too.

:)

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
OK sir THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I couldn't get the whole thing to work in a terminal but I could see what we were trying to do and just did it manually. I couldn't find an "opt" so I just created one and extracted firefox there. I then went to the plugins for that firefox and extracted the flash plugin. It's all good now. I just redirected the icon in the tool bar to this firefox install and it works fine now. THANKS AGAIN!

linux_0

Splendid
You're welcome :) Sorry the instructions weren't all that clear.

I'd suggest installing noscript in firefox so you can block annoying or malicious sites from messing with your browser and system.

Flash is a huge resource hog, it can make a 3.0GHz 8 core CPU run like a 486 at 25MHz :lol:

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Now I'm down to 1 major issue. I can't get networking with windows pc's right. The windows pc's can see and access the Linux box but while my Linux box can see the windows boxes it can't access them. Something about "failed to retrieve share list from server" it says. Thanks again with the flash thing though.

G

Linux is a pile of junk glued together with bubblegum. To my experience, each distro has its own configuration paths and issues making them inconsistent and messy.

Use FreeBSD which is maintained by a team of people dedicated to the task. FreeBSD is a modern, fast, reliable OS that can be a truly awesome desktop OS; I've been using it for 6 years now and have discovered that configuring every aspect of the user experience is easy, consistent throughout all BSDs and intuitive.

There isn't a native Flash port yet, however, I run the windows version of firefox with flash, and it works fine.

linux_0

Splendid
BSD and Linux are part of the same extended FOSS family and as such should be working together not attacking each other :)

Both are good operating systems, although there is no such thing as a perfect operating system.

I like, respect and use both. I refuse to bash either one.

Constructive criticism is a good thing, other forms are counter productive.

:)

G

With all due respect, empirical observations are more useful than ideology. This implies that I did not mean to specifically bash Linux, I was merely stating empirical facts.

I strongly agree that both communities should work together. In particular, hardware vendors should be inclined to release their driver specifications and software vendors should support open source platforms as well as propriatory ones. etc..

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Linux is a pile of junk glued together with bubblegum. To my experience, each distro has its own configuration paths and issues making them inconsistent and messy.

Use FreeBSD which is maintained by a team of people dedicated to the task. FreeBSD is a modern, fast, reliable OS that can be a truly awesome desktop OS; I've been using it for 6 years now and have discovered that configuring every aspect of the user experience is easy, consistent throughout all BSDs and intuitive.

There isn't a native Flash port yet, however, I run the windows version of firefox with flash, and it works fine.

FreeBSD is a linux OS if I'm not mistaken. Based on Unix like Ubuntu. I agree adamantly with Linux_0. We should be working together and making both OS's compliment each other not mud slinging. I have enjoyed very much my Ubuntu installation. It's a bit frustrating at times but I clearly recall the same effect when learning windows. Most confusing thing for me is the terminal aka dos box. I've never learned the whole command line thing because I never needed to. Now I do and I'm afraid I'm rather slow at it. Linux_0 has been quite helpful and resolved my issue. I would appreciate your sharing of your knowledge as well minus the bashing.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I'd always thought the BSD guys were too laid back to start flame wars... oh well, nicely handled (as always) Linux_0!

I haven't tried any of the *BSD myself yet, but I look forward to the day when I have a bit of time to try out a bunch of alternate OSes such as Solaris, HaikuOS, SkyOS, ReatOS, etc etc ad nauseam. I am sure they each have their own merits, and the ones that have source available ought to be useful to help me learn more about OSes. Man, gotta love computers!

-Zorak

The killer for me when I tried was the disk naming convention, i'd just got my head around linux hda etc and then faced a NetBSD install from the CLI.

If you want to avoid the grief just pull down a pre built VM image and go from there.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
"It's not for the uninitiated. :)"

Oh man, if after a year of Gentoo and 3 total of Linux I am not yet initiated, I don't want to know what it takes to BE initiated!