DirectX 8.0A Problem

G

I just formatted my HD and reinstalled Win98SE, then I tried installing DirectX 8.0A. When I rebooted to complete the installation (of DirectX) computer hangs (black screen, cursor in upper left) after the WIN98 splash screen. I restarted in safe mode and removed my video driver (as per the help file) and still got the same problem. I finally reinstalled Win98SE, but now I'm stuck with DirectX 6.1. This computer had DirectX 8.0A on it already and was running fine before I reformatted. Any idea what's going on? Also, the video card is a 16MB riva TNT2, with the newest drivers from NVIDIA. Thanks.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With that old a card, you might consider trying out another set of drivers, such as the Det. 6.50's or the 12.41's, instead.

Whenever I do a fresh installation of Win98SE, the first thing I load is DirectX 8.0. Then the chipset drivers, and any ATA-100 storage drivers. Afterwards ... I'll load all the other drivers, (sound card, nic, modem, etc) making sure that there are no conflicts. Finally ... I'll load the video card driver. I'll stay with the standard VGA driver until that point.

This seems to give me the greatest chance of success, and makes it much easier to run down any problems with the video card driver.

After the driver is loaded, I'll tweak the DirectX and OpenGL section of the drivers, and run a benchmarking program a few times, to work out any bugs.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I agree, its probably your agp drivers, remove your display drivers and set your dispplay to standard vga, download the latest 4 in 1's for your board, install them, then install dx8, then after the reboot install your display drivers.
BUT, the new nvidia drivers are causing probs with some systems (mine included) I went back to the 12.41's as was getting fatal's and a lot of lockups with the det 4's.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers