PDA Sync with Remote Desktop

August 9, 2005 4:43:20 PM

I have two machines. A server and a development machine.

After some horrid experiences ressurecting Outlook on my development
machine (which is prone to bad things happening), I hit upon running
outlook on my server and accessing it via remote desktop. This keeps my
(very large!) outlook pst files safe, but gives me pretty easy access to
email and stuff from my development desktop.

Now I have a PDA (XDAIIi). I cannot run ActiveSync from the remote
desktop session (as far as I know. As it is a service, I'm not surprised -
I think!). And I cannot sync with outlook open in my remote desktop.

In fact I have horribly troubles re-opening outlook on my remote desktop
after a sync. OUTLOOK seems to be kept open for an uncertain amount of
time and the only sure way to be able to open it is to stop the process on
the server machine and then let it 'fix' the pst files.

Am I stuck here? Trying to hard? Should I simply bite the bullet and move
outlook back to my desktop?

Iain
--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:43:20 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have two machines. A server and a development machine.
>
>After some horrid experiences ressurecting Outlook on my development
>machine (which is prone to bad things happening), I hit upon running
>outlook on my server and accessing it via remote desktop. This keeps my
>(very large!) outlook pst files safe, but gives me pretty easy access to
>email and stuff from my development desktop.
>
>Now I have a PDA (XDAIIi). I cannot run ActiveSync from the remote
>desktop session (as far as I know. As it is a service, I'm not surprised -
>I think!). And I cannot sync with outlook open in my remote desktop.

Hi Iain - nice to see you out on here too ! RE remote desktop,
ActiveSync is designed to Sync with a PC by IP address or machine
name, I can't think of any type of routing that'd let you route the
activesync requests from machine A with remote desktop to machine B
with the Outlook on it.

Can you otherwise sync any files to the machine B at all, or use
windows explorer on machine B to see the files on the XDA ?

You should be trying to sync with machine B directly - you're saying
it won't sync while Outlook is open on machine B ? That's odd. If you
turned off the remote desktop for a few minutes, then sync it with
outlook stil open, does it work then ?

Make sure that you sync over the air (wifi), have provided the server
details and login credentials for machine B

Also check that you're using ActiveSync 3.7 or later - but *not*
activesync 4 : AS4 had the wifi capability switched off for 'security
reasons' in a moment of MS lunacy. If you have AS4, back it out to
AS3.7 or later cause you won't get it to sync to anything over wifi.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:58:17 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:25:34 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:43:20 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I have two machines. A server and a development machine.
>>
>>After some horrid experiences ressurecting Outlook on my development
>>machine (which is prone to bad things happening), I hit upon running
>>outlook on my server and accessing it via remote desktop. This keeps my
>>(very large!) outlook pst files safe, but gives me pretty easy access to
>>email and stuff from my development desktop.
>>
>>Now I have a PDA (XDAIIi). I cannot run ActiveSync from the remote
>>desktop session (as far as I know. As it is a service, I'm not surprised -
>>I think!). And I cannot sync with outlook open in my remote desktop.
>
> Hi Iain - nice to see you out on here too ! RE remote desktop,
> ActiveSync is designed to Sync with a PC by IP address or machine
> name, I can't think of any type of routing that'd let you route the
> activesync requests from machine A with remote desktop to machine B
> with the Outlook on it.

Hi, Neil!

> Can you otherwise sync any files to the machine B at all, or use
> windows explorer on machine B to see the files on the XDA ?
I don't think I was clear enough. All the computation is done on Machine
A. It has two sessions (logons) running one local and one through remote
desktop hosted on machine B.

I haven't managed to sync through wifi. In fact, I am thoroughly confused
about the wifi / gprs thing. I'm set up to connect to the internet through
wifi by default and GPRS if this fails. But this doesn't really work (and
it took an hour and a half with O2 support to get that far!). Once I
enable wifi I have to do a soft reset before GPRS works again. ANd I have
no idea how to get this to connect to my local network through wifi.

> You should be trying to sync with machine B directly - you're saying
> it won't sync while Outlook is open on machine B ? That's odd. If you
> turned off the remote desktop for a few minutes, then sync it with
> outlook stil open, does it work then ?

If I close down outlook (through remote desktop) I can sync OK on machine A
(main session). If I then attempt to reopen outlook in my remote desktop
session (even after I remove the XDA from its cradle) it fails because
OUTLOOK is already open (as a OLE server, I presume) on machine A main
session.

> Make sure that you sync over the air (wifi), have provided the server
> details and login credentials for machine B
>
> Also check that you're using ActiveSync 3.7 or later - but *not*
> activesync 4 : AS4 had the wifi capability switched off for 'security
> reasons' in a moment of MS lunacy. If you have AS4, back it out to
> AS3.7 or later cause you won't get it to sync to anything over wifi.
I'm on 3.8. I am alergic to betas when I can avoid them.

--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
August 15, 2005 3:55:30 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:25:34 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:43:20 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I have two machines. A server and a development machine.
>>
>>After some horrid experiences ressurecting Outlook on my development
>>machine (which is prone to bad things happening), I hit upon running
>>outlook on my server and accessing it via remote desktop. This keeps my
>>(very large!) outlook pst files safe, but gives me pretty easy access to
>>email and stuff from my development desktop.
>>
>>Now I have a PDA (XDAIIi). I cannot run ActiveSync from the remote
>>desktop session (as far as I know. As it is a service, I'm not surprised -
>>I think!). And I cannot sync with outlook open in my remote desktop.
>
> Hi Iain - nice to see you out on here too ! RE remote desktop,
> ActiveSync is designed to Sync with a PC by IP address or machine
> name, I can't think of any type of routing that'd let you route the
> activesync requests from machine A with remote desktop to machine B
> with the Outlook on it.
>
> Can you otherwise sync any files to the machine B at all, or use
> windows explorer on machine B to see the files on the XDA ?
>
> You should be trying to sync with machine B directly - you're saying
> it won't sync while Outlook is open on machine B ? That's odd. If you
> turned off the remote desktop for a few minutes, then sync it with
> outlook stil open, does it work then ?
>
> Make sure that you sync over the air (wifi), have provided the server
> details and login credentials for machine B
>
> Also check that you're using ActiveSync 3.7 or later - but *not*
> activesync 4 : AS4 had the wifi capability switched off for 'security
> reasons' in a moment of MS lunacy. If you have AS4, back it out to
> AS3.7 or later cause you won't get it to sync to anything over wifi.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil

Neil (or anyone!). I just can't synchronise with wifi. Frankly, I have no
idea what I'm doing.

The wifi connects to the Internet fine.
I can ping (by IP) the machine that I have ActiveSync (3.8) runnin on fine.
I can ping the XDAIIi by it's IP Address from the PC.
I cannot ping the PC from the XDA by its name (IDC-SERVER) nor it's UNC
Name (\\IDC-SERVER).
I cannot open files on machines on my network through FileManager with UNC
paths.
I have set up the IP adress as the Server connection but this does not work
(and now it is alwats wanting to connect to an Exchange Server. Not what I
want!).

<plea>HELP!</plea>

Iain

--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:55:31 PM

Its possible the name of the PocketPC is an issue. See the "WINS Naming
Issues" section of this page for help...

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/protocols.htm

Otherwise...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Iain" <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> HTH
>> Cheers - Neil
>
> Neil (or anyone!). I just can't synchronise with wifi. Frankly, I have
> no
> idea what I'm doing.
>
> The wifi connects to the Internet fine.
> I can ping (by IP) the machine that I have ActiveSync (3.8) runnin on
> fine.
> I can ping the XDAIIi by it's IP Address from the PC.
> I cannot ping the PC from the XDA by its name (IDC-SERVER) nor it's UNC
> Name (\\IDC-SERVER).
> I cannot open files on machines on my network through FileManager with UNC
> paths.
> I have set up the IP adress as the Server connection but this does not
> work
> (and now it is alwats wanting to connect to an Exchange Server. Not what

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:25:18 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:55:30 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:25:34 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:43:20 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have two machines. A server and a development machine.
>>>
>>>After some horrid experiences ressurecting Outlook on my development
>>>machine (which is prone to bad things happening), I hit upon running
>>>outlook on my server and accessing it via remote desktop. This keeps my
>>>(very large!) outlook pst files safe, but gives me pretty easy access to
>>>email and stuff from my development desktop.
>>>
>>>Now I have a PDA (XDAIIi). I cannot run ActiveSync from the remote
>>>desktop session (as far as I know. As it is a service, I'm not surprised -
>>>I think!). And I cannot sync with outlook open in my remote desktop.
>>
>> Hi Iain - nice to see you out on here too ! RE remote desktop,
>> ActiveSync is designed to Sync with a PC by IP address or machine
>> name, I can't think of any type of routing that'd let you route the
>> activesync requests from machine A with remote desktop to machine B
>> with the Outlook on it.
>>
>> Can you otherwise sync any files to the machine B at all, or use
>> windows explorer on machine B to see the files on the XDA ?
>>
>> You should be trying to sync with machine B directly - you're saying
>> it won't sync while Outlook is open on machine B ? That's odd. If you
>> turned off the remote desktop for a few minutes, then sync it with
>> outlook stil open, does it work then ?
>>
>> Make sure that you sync over the air (wifi), have provided the server
>> details and login credentials for machine B
>>
>> Also check that you're using ActiveSync 3.7 or later - but *not*
>> activesync 4 : AS4 had the wifi capability switched off for 'security
>> reasons' in a moment of MS lunacy. If you have AS4, back it out to
>> AS3.7 or later cause you won't get it to sync to anything over wifi.
>>
>> HTH
>> Cheers - Neil
>
>Neil (or anyone!). I just can't synchronise with wifi. Frankly, I have no
>idea what I'm doing.
>
>The wifi connects to the Internet fine.
>I can ping (by IP) the machine that I have ActiveSync (3.8) runnin on fine.
>I can ping the XDAIIi by it's IP Address from the PC.
>I cannot ping the PC from the XDA by its name (IDC-SERVER) nor it's UNC
>Name (\\IDC-SERVER).
>I cannot open files on machines on my network through FileManager with UNC
>paths.
>I have set up the IP adress as the Server connection but this does not work
>(and now it is alwats wanting to connect to an Exchange Server. Not what I
>want!).

OK lets start from scratch : First you'll need a login account on the
PC, maybe create a new user if necessary.

Now go to the PDA, Start->Programs->ActiveSync

Click Tools->Options->Server and then check "This server uses an SSL
connection". The Options button there lets you provide the logon
credentials for the account on the PC you'll use to access it over
Wifi. It must be a valid local login account.

"Save Password" too while you're there.

Next tab, select "Sync Manually" as every few minutes is a real pain.
Choose Logging "Verbose" if you think you'll need the info.

Start the Wifi, let it get it's IP address and other stuff from DHCP
then click the "Sync" button in activesync. If you see 'Errors' in
blue, try to soft-reset before you do anything else.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:43:23 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:40:55 -0500, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

> Its possible the name of the PocketPC is an issue. See the "WINS Naming
> Issues" section of this page for help...
>
> http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/protocols.htm
>
> Otherwise...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync...

Thanks. I've changed the name and followed the instructions. It still
will not ActiveSync on WIFI and it still will not open a UNC folder on my
network!

The error messages (in both cases), tell me that it cannot connect and I
should inspect my setttings.

I can still connect to the Internet (through wifi) and I can still sync
through USB.

Iain
--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:43:24 PM

Do you have your Connection Manager setup for "Work"?

--

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:40:55 -0500, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Its possible the name of the PocketPC is an issue. See the "WINS Naming
>> Issues" section of this page for help...
>>
>> http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/20/protocols.htm
>>
>> Otherwise...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync...
>
> Thanks. I've changed the name and followed the instructions. It still
> will not ActiveSync on WIFI and it still will not open a UNC folder on my
> network!
>
> The error messages (in both cases), tell me that it cannot connect and I
> should inspect my setttings.
>
> I can still connect to the Internet (through wifi) and I can still sync
> through USB.
>
> Iain
> --
> Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
> Commercial Software Therapist
> www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:06:50 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:24:44 -0500, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

> Do you have your Connection Manager setup for "Work"?

Thank you. I changed my 'connect to the Internet' to Work and set work to
connect to the Internet.

I added the server settings as Neil recommended and.....

It worked.

Confusingly I now have 2 (remote desktop) sessions on my server running
ActiveSync but one or the other of them seems to work. I suspect I might
have to set up the 2 ActiveSyncs each time I restart to get this to work,
but hey! It's progress.

I really have no idea what is happening under the hood and I KNOW that next
time I have to reset this damned thing, I shall spend a day sorting this
out! Still I shall take notes.

Thanks again!

Iain
--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:07:12 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:25:18 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:55:30 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:25:34 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:

>>> Hi Iain - nice to see you out on here too ! RE remote desktop,
>>> ActiveSync is designed to Sync with a PC by IP address or machine
>>> name, I can't think of any type of routing that'd let you route the
>>> activesync requests from machine A with remote desktop to machine B
>>> with the Outlook on it.
>>>
>>> Can you otherwise sync any files to the machine B at all, or use
>>> windows explorer on machine B to see the files on the XDA ?
>>>
>>> You should be trying to sync with machine B directly - you're saying
>>> it won't sync while Outlook is open on machine B ? That's odd. If you
>>> turned off the remote desktop for a few minutes, then sync it with
>>> outlook stil open, does it work then ?
>>>
>>> Make sure that you sync over the air (wifi), have provided the server
>>> details and login credentials for machine B
>>>
>>> Also check that you're using ActiveSync 3.7 or later - but *not*
>>> activesync 4 : AS4 had the wifi capability switched off for 'security
>>> reasons' in a moment of MS lunacy. If you have AS4, back it out to
>>> AS3.7 or later cause you won't get it to sync to anything over wifi.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>>Neil (or anyone!). I just can't synchronise with wifi. Frankly, I have no
>>idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>The wifi connects to the Internet fine.
>>I can ping (by IP) the machine that I have ActiveSync (3.8) runnin on fine.
>>I can ping the XDAIIi by it's IP Address from the PC.
>>I cannot ping the PC from the XDA by its name (IDC-SERVER) nor it's UNC
>>Name (\\IDC-SERVER).
>>I cannot open files on machines on my network through FileManager with UNC
>>paths.
>>I have set up the IP adress as the Server connection but this does not work
>>(and now it is alwats wanting to connect to an Exchange Server. Not what I
>>want!).
>

> OK lets start from scratch : First you'll need a login account on the
> PC, maybe create a new user if necessary.
>
> Now go to the PDA, Start->Programs->ActiveSync
>
> Click Tools->Options->Server and then check "This server uses an SSL
> connection". The Options button there lets you provide the logon
> credentials for the account on the PC you'll use to access it over
> Wifi. It must be a valid local login account.
>
> "Save Password" too while you're there.
>
> Next tab, select "Sync Manually" as every few minutes is a real pain.
> Choose Logging "Verbose" if you think you'll need the info.
>
> Start the Wifi, let it get it's IP address and other stuff from DHCP
> then click the "Sync" button in activesync. If you see 'Errors' in
> blue, try to soft-reset before you do anything else.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil

Thanks, Neil - see my respons to Sooner Al's post!

Iain
--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:07:15 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:40:55 -0500, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

>Thanks. I've changed the name and followed the instructions. It still
>will not ActiveSync on WIFI and it still will not open a UNC folder on my
>network!

Actually, I believe it's not supposed to work, opening UNC shared
folders. There are workarounds using other file managers but I thought
I read that browsing UNC shares isn't a capability of the built in
file explorer. Resco might do a file explorer which would help there :
See http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/indepth.asp "The network
browser"

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:26:27 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:07:15 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Iain <Iain@idclTAKEAWAY.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:40:55 -0500, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>
>>Thanks. I've changed the name and followed the instructions. It still
>>will not ActiveSync on WIFI and it still will not open a UNC folder on my
>>network!
>
> Actually, I believe it's not supposed to work, opening UNC shared
> folders. There are workarounds using other file managers but I thought
> I read that browsing UNC shares isn't a capability of the built in
> file explorer. Resco might do a file explorer which would help there :
> See http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/indepth.asp "The network
> browser"
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil

I seem to be able to access the rest of my network via UNC now. I couldn't
at first and now it works - I thought it was only working when ActiveSync
was connected, buat apparently not.

Iain
--
Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP)
Commercial Software Therapist
www.idcl.co.uk
Anonymous
January 12, 2010 5:10:38 PM

windows wont recognize your phone when you are connected via remote desktop(RD) some kind windows block all the usb ports so if you connect your phone when the machine is blocked/running the RD never will recognize the phone is connected.

you have to connect the phone when de RD/blocked its not activated
!