Vista wont load anymore

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Until Friday Vista loaded just fine. On Friday upon turning it on it now won't go past the loading screen (you know the one, with the green bars moving across over and over again) - I can F8 into startup options but same thing happens under Safe Mode & Last Known Good Configuration.

No HW has been changed or anything - just suddenly happened.

Anyone know why this might have happened and what a solution is?

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
They only provided a recovery disc with the laptop... which I lost. And I only have a copy of Vista 64 around the house. Will the 64 disc be ok for repairing a 32 bit installation? I am assuming not

Also, in that respect, I could do a clean install with Vista 64... will the CD Key I got with the laptop (stickered to the underside) work with 64 vista as well as 32?

It might work, but before you do that, I'd make VERY VERY sure that there are 64 bit drivers for the devices your laptop has. Prople often reload OS's to shotgun problems, but 64 bit is (1) not the same as what you have now, and (2) has little support with the Laptop crowd. I'd be highly reluctant to do that.

Far better to accept that you're going to have some downtime: call support for the maker of your laptop and have them send you another recovery disc. Then recover/repair like for like.

G

I had the same problem the other day, i fixed it by booting to Vista DVD and running repair, after the repair had finished I tried to re-start and same problem......restarted again and ran repair again and it fixed a second problem....partition error first them registry missing second.

Be aware that early on in the evening I boot from DVD and after installing the files the computer appeared to hang on a blue/green screen for ages so I was re-booting and trying again.....when I left it installing files and went off for 15 mins I had the lanuage options choices on the screen and was able to proceed to the repair option....it also appeared to hang when searching for installed windows.

The same problem occured this evening but after spending 5 hours trying to fix it on Monday tonight it took me 30mins, currently looking for answers and solutions to the problem when I stumbled upon this site.