Windows XP questions, real quick

docingram

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I'm a noob builder, have only bought my other pcs. If I'm making two pcs (a cheap one for the family to do basic stuff and a gamer for myself), do I need to buy two copies of XP, or can I install on both with one copy? I know vista limits the number of machines you can activate with, is that true with XP? Thanks

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
AFAIK if you purchase an OEM license then it's only 1 PC, if you buy the retail version (more expensive) then you can install on a number of pc's dependent on license keys.. not 100% on that though, never bought retail copy.

I'm a noob builder, have only bought my other pcs. If I'm making two pcs (a cheap one for the family to do basic stuff and a gamer for myself), do I need to buy two copies of XP, or can I install on both with one copy? I know vista limits the number of machines you can activate with, is that true with XP? Thanks

I know vista limits the number of machines you can activate with, is that true with XP?

The activation of Vista and XP work exactly the same. I have both operating systems and I have activated and reactivate both in the same manner as this article states. Try at your own risk.

http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=352&type=expert&pid=4