Why aren't there any real alternatives to Windows?

Kinkoyaburi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Hello, I want to ask those of you who are more into this kind of matter, why aren't there rivals to Windows? You know, just like Ati and Nvdia, Intel and Amd? I know about Linux and some other OS's but they are generally unknown. My question is - why there isn't an operation system that the average user could use without being a hacker or programmer, without having to worry whether his games will run on it or not? Everyone says "Windows is bad" but why? How can the entire world use something that is so "awful"l? Please, explain it to me. :p

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Because of the need for standardization at the most basic level, i.e., programs and drivers are written to run on an OS, and Windows won the standardization battle. While there are currently Linux versions that pretty much can be installed as easily as Windows, not all programs will run on them, e.g., Open Office can read Office but most users don't want to do anything other than have a program do what ever it is they want. If they know Office is the standard, that's what they'll use. As for why Microsoft won the standards war, you'll have to study the history of this battle. In fact if anyone knows of a good monograph dealing with this, I would appreciate a citation. Obviously, Apple lost because of their insistence on proprietary hardware. As for other early competing OSs, I really don't know.

riser

Illustrious
Windows is "bad" because its the current leader and everyone hates Microsoft because of all the money they've made.

Don't listen to all the hype. Windows isn't that bad - if it was, it would be gone.

Mac and Linux are the two biggest "Others" out there against Microsoft Windows.

Macs can be limited in scope but would honestly support 75% or more of the average home users' needs.

Linux requires more technical know-how, plus some time downloading programs for what you want. The problem here is that the Linux Programs aren't as widely known as Windows Applications.

Mac's do well because they appeal to the female population since they're cute. :) They're good machines and all but limited depending on what you're doing.. They can be pricey and not as many people out there support them as do Windows.

Linux will require some time to download if you want it for free. First, you need a working computer to download it, then you'll need some extra time to install, configure, etc. Unless you buy a Dell with Linux pre-loaded and working. Might be the best option for someone who doesn't really want to deal with it or have the technical background.

There are plenty of Linux users who dwell around here who can better answer your Linux questions, or venture down to the Linux section and check it out.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Riser, I've destroyed two monitors trying to kill that damn bug because it is unbelievably irritating. Where did you get it? There are a number of people I'd like to irritate. :lol:

riser

Illustrious
Hahaha I found it. Feel free to steal it. :) I'm using it to annoy people around here lately.

When I first saw it I swatted at it too since I had a little bug about that size flying around me. I laughed at myself and took it. :)