Sign in with
Your question

Windows Whistler personal freezing at startup

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 26, 2010 9:27:29 PM

Okay, in Virtual PC, I have installed Windows Whistler 2257, and it sits there at the bootscreen, no dots. It does boot into safe mode, but it sits there with setup window saying "Starting setup". It's barely even reading the hard disk. I installed it over Windows Whistler 2250 Pro, witch was also having the exact same problem. Why is that happening?
June 27, 2010 7:48:34 AM

I suspect that you're going to have difficulties finding support for 10-year old beta software! You could always try VMWare or VirtualBox, which have always supported a wider range of clients thatn VirtualPC.
July 8, 2010 4:24:22 AM

I always use VPC. I know people have done it before, but that problem is ticking me off!
Related resources
July 8, 2010 6:45:14 AM

jamesoleruster said:
I always use VPC. I know people have done it before, but that problem is ticking me off!

Your choice. I know several OSs that won't load in VPC but will in the other free virtual machines so I thought it might be worth a try. What have you got to lose (other than your frustration)?
July 8, 2010 7:21:40 AM

Ijack said:
Your choice. I know several OSs that won't load in VPC but will in the other free virtual machines so I thought it might be worth a try. What have you got to lose (other than your frustration)?

I think its my luck with Windows betas. I know to get Longhorn 3706 to work, I have to set my computer date to October 29th, 2002. My VPC BIOS always resets it's CMOS memory back to the real date.
July 22, 2010 7:18:17 PM

Windows Beta setups have a expiration date, no suprize that you have issues loading them. It's like saying "My illegal copy of XP stopped working" and looking for help to get around it. It's made not to work.
!