Sign in with
Your question

Vista purchase (64 bit or 32 bit + 64 bit disk?)

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 12, 2007 1:43:45 AM

I just ordered parts for my new system and going to pick up Vista. I want to go 64 bit to access my 4gb of ram and besides my motherboard and video card, I do not require any 64 bit drivers for my system. I will dual boot to XP for my audio production stuff.

I have decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I do not need BitLocker, Remote Access, or the Complete Backup that is included with Ultimate.

Some people are suggesting going with the 32 bit Vista instead of 64 bit because of problems etc.
Would it be better to buy the Home Premium 32 bit and then buy the 64 bit cd for $10 extra? This way, if I have issues with the 64 bit version I can always reload back to 32 bit. If I buy the 64 bit Home Premium, there will be no option to go back to 32 bit.

Does this sound like a good idea? I am looking at the OEM version and would this cause any licensing issues?
November 12, 2007 2:02:42 AM

audiofx said:
I just ordered parts for my new system and going to pick up Vista. I want to go 64 bit to access my 4gb of ram and besides my motherboard and video card, I do not require any 64 bit drivers for my system. I will dual boot to XP for my audio production stuff.

I have decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I do not need BitLocker, Remote Access, or the Complete Backup that is included with Ultimate.

Some people are suggesting going with the 32 bit Vista instead of 64 bit because of problems etc.
Would it be better to buy the Home Premium 32 bit and then buy the 64 bit cd for $10 extra? This way, if I have issues with the 64 bit version I can always reload back to 32 bit. If I buy the 64 bit Home Premium, there will be no option to go back to 32 bit.

Does this sound like a good idea? I am looking at the OEM version and would this cause any licensing issues?

Quote:

Home premium does not support Microsoft Virtual PC. Should I need to run the one software my VISTA 64 is not compatible with, I will run a Virtual PC application with XP Pro installed on VISTA Ultimate 64.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
m
l
November 12, 2007 9:44:44 PM

I am interested in Virtual PC so I guess I'll be getting Ultimate OEM. $200 for an OS, that's hard to swallow!
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2007 2:00:55 AM

How does the virtual pc work?
m
l
November 13, 2007 3:24:35 AM

Virtual PC is a free download with which you can install as many 'virtual PCs' as you want and run the installation through VISTA Ultimate 64. For example, you could install Win XP pro as a virtual machine and then install any sofware/hardware which you may want to run on XP. I have a single program I use (Pinnacle Studio 9) which is outdated, that will not run on VISTA 64. So, I have no need for an XP Virtual PC installation. I dumped my dual boot Win XP Pro/VISTA HP 32 for this VISTA ULTIMATE 64 in my sig and I could not be happier with it. This is great! 4 GB of RAM put to use with Superfetch and Readyboost enabled.! I plan to upgrade to Penryn, 2.0 PCIE Video card(s) and 8 GB RAM when the time comes.
m
l
November 13, 2007 10:45:27 AM

So all I do is install vista 64 and then install virtual pc. Do I have to buy xp pro to install on the virtual pc? That is what confuses me. I have never done this before.
m
l
November 13, 2007 12:38:12 PM

You would need a copy of XP pro to create a virtual PC with that OS. I installed VISTA 64 a couple of weeks ago. So, I have not had time to experment with the Virtual PC aspect of VISTA yet. VISTA 64 runs all my software except one old program I have. I ran a dual boot VISTA 32 HP/XP Pro since the week VISTA came out. I never usd XP with that set up. Didn't need XP.
m
l
!