Vista SP1 64 bit - Do i need the full 4gb of ram for gaming?

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I have been waiting to upgrade my pc for dx10 and i was wondering if i need 4gb of ram or should i go with 32 bit and 2gb ram??

and if i do go with 64 bit, when is sp1 comming out?? Will it fix the problems of vista without a SP?

G

I use Vista 64-bit with 2 gigs of RAM and it runs fine for gaming.
SP1 should be out in the beginning of 2008, it's still beta testing at the moment.

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys!! Umm the problems with vista are that it is crashing constantly without a reason except that the OS fails!

Anyway, you say i can get home premium 32 bit now... and if i want to upgrade to 64 bit it will only cost me $11???

Yes, if you have the 32 bit retail verson, MSFT will send you a 64 bit CD for handling charges. However, 64 bit isn't an upgrade: You have to do a clean install. Having said that, it will detect your existing installation, create a 'WINDOWS_OLD' folder, and put your existing data into it.

eyecandy..... I don't mean this to be offensive, so don't take this as an attack, because that is not my purpose. Just feel the need to say it anyhow: I've seen nothing but negative comments from you. How much you hate it. How much it sucks. How Slow it is. How Bad it is. How X, Y, Z doesn't run right. etc etc etc etc... So why don't you just uninstall and go back to XP? Seriously. That'll solve the problem entirely.

WOW 64 is the name for the collection of DLLs which allow 32 bit apps to run in 64 bit Windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64

In practice, you need to do nothing to use your 32 bit apps - They just work. There are certainly some that may not work well, but I haven't found any myself. All the games and apps I had before still work. Though I haven't tempted fate by installing any of the really old games. I keep Apps current out of long habit, as well. So that was pretty much a non-issue. Drivers can sometimes be a problem, but that's mostly sorted out unless you have something old enough that the maker hasn't seen fit to create Vista ones...

The one thing that *is* a real PITA sometimes, is Vista 64's security will refuse to run anything with unsigned or expired digital certificate. You used to be able to shut that off permanently, but one of the later patches disabled that. You can press F8 during boot and use something during that session. But if/when you restart Vista will be back in "Nuke The Intruder" mode...

Didn't we just do a whole thread on this last week???? We said then that you wouldn't need for your Optical. The answer hasn't changed.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
@ Scotteq........

Is the 90 days of free support with the retail version worth it?

I have a $30 towards Staples and they have a $50 gift card rebate thing so is it better for $111 to get OEM or about $170 for the retail

Or is Microsoft basically worthless? :D

I went retail, but not for support. An OEM license only covers a single computer. I wanted to cover myself for future upgrades, like swapping my Mobo. A Retail licence you can uninstall and move elsewhere. OEM is locked to a given computer.

And yes: If you look it up you'll see a group photo in the dictionary with Bill Gates along with a bunch of other corporate CEOs and a few other select individuals all smiles with the heads of the various State and Federal IRS agencies. Which entry, you ask???? "Financial Sodomy"

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

WOW WOW WOW! ARE you talking to me?? O is there some kid named eyecandy?!?? Ok so im NOT trying to be mean but you obviosely dont know what your talking about! FIRST OFF: I dont have windows vista yet, my neighbor does! Why else would i post here? SECOND OFF: I have only made a few negetive comments lately, and not many cause im new here, and they were negetive because people gave me negetive responses. I did not feel welcomed at first, but people like zorg and those other nice folk i didnt name convinced me to keep posting because he and the few other people were so kind! THIRD OFF: I never even mentioned x, y , z ... for that matter i dont knopw wtf they are! But anyway maybe you confuzed me with someone else or vice versa.

FFFOOOUURRTTHH OOOFFF: This is my topic not yours! Dont ask questions about your own problems here please! Im not trying to be mean here, its just i need answers for my stuff and you distract the topic. Thanks!

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Well......

1) That comment was not at you....it was directed at itotallybelieveyou

2) Fine heres your answer.......NO you dont need 4 gigs

3) This is a forum....ppl have problems.... The way I saw it your answer was done.......deal with it that I found it easier to use yours

That was in response to itotallybelieveyou's answer.

My response to *your* question was Yes, if you have the 32 bit retail verson, MSFT will send you a 64 bit CD for handling charges. However, 64 bit isn't an upgrade: You have to do a clean install. Having said that, it will detect your existing installation, create a 'WINDOWS_OLD' folder, and put your existing data into it.

Nice to know you feel welcome enough here to go on the offensive. And I agree: Zorg is a good guy who will absolutely take large chunks of time from his day to help. A mis-read post is no big deal. Also, I was responding to the questions of others, not adding questions of my own. The 'x,y,z', thing was merely an alliteration. The gentleman I was aiming my comments at likes to post about whatever thing is bothering him, yet doesn't seem to bother to look for solutions. Rather he likes to blame the operating system and walk away. So my response was to tell him to uninstall and load XP. My apologies for using "your" thread as the venue for this.

But as far as your tone, I feel it's totally undeserved. And I'm sure you already know in a lot of places a response along the lines of 'go wash the sand out of your vag' would be appropriate. But I consider that to be rude and insulting to women. Rather, I'd like to ask that when you find yourself that angry at the screen, it'd be a good idea to take a few minutes to get a cold drink, calm down a hair, and re-read to see if you had misinterpreted something. Might just save you a lot of unnecessary drama.

Enjoy Your Day, sir.

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I'm sorry i wasn't aiming that at you unless you were writing that... i never usually get angry, but recently i was stabbed at a gas station and i cant take bullshit for the next month cause it got me thinking and it got me a bit angry and concerned at the way people do things and carry themselves these days! Anyway thank you for clearing that up, and i didn't mean you posting questions, i meant other people! I just mistook that comment for me and thought maybe it wasn't to me and posted it to see what happened... im sorry for the troubles! I hope you have a nice day!

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Its ok im not angry, but next time just message the person or make a new thread. I used to post on other peoples threads but i started to see that it wasn't helping the thread started, felt bad, and stopped doin it! Just thought i should be more considerate!Thank you for answering my question, that helped me save about $60! And I hope you have a nice day!