WinPE - how do I run a 16 bit DOS app

It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
DOS support or how do I walk the SID?

kinked wrote:
> It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
> ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
> DOS support or how do I walk the SID?

Use Sysinternals NewSID?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message
> It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
> ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
> DOS support or how do I walk the SID?

There is no 16-bit or DOS tool based support in Windows PE.
Why use ghstwalk.exe ? - use SYSPREP to regenerate the machine SID etc.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message
> It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
> ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
> DOS support or how do I walk the SID?

I appreciate your response and ordinarily we do use sysprep. The
problem here is that we need to 'retrofit' about 300 wireless carts
that cannot eaisly be hardwired to the network. After reghosting them
with an image already sysprepped it is necessary to change the SID
(and the machine name) so it can rejoin the domain via wireless. Bart
and some other ones claim to have support for 16 bit in PE. What files
provide the DOS support in XP/2K? I could code a console app in Delphi
that launches ghstwalk as a child?????? I can't believe Symantec
released a 32 bit Ghost specifically for PE with no ghostwalk.

>I appreciate your response and ordinarily we do use sysprep. The
> problem here is that we need to 'retrofit' about 300 wireless carts
> that cannot eaisly be hardwired to the network. After reghosting them
> with an image already sysprepped it is necessary to change the SID
> (and the machine name) so it can rejoin the domain via wireless. Bart
> and some other ones claim to have support for 16 bit in PE. What files
> provide the DOS support in XP/2K? I could code a console app in Delphi
> that launches ghstwalk as a child?????? I can't believe Symantec
> released a 32 bit Ghost specifically for PE with no ghostwalk.

Bart - and BartsPE is not the same as Windows PE. The Bart is a modified
version of a real Windows XP or Server 2003 product - so it may have
additional functionality not provided in the real Windows PE product.

You cannot add 16-bit support to Windows PE. (using components and trying
to retrofit this may not be within your licensing or supported
configurations and use of Windows PE).

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message
>I appreciate your response and ordinarily we do use sysprep. The
> problem here is that we need to 'retrofit' about 300 wireless carts
> that cannot eaisly be hardwired to the network. After reghosting them
> with an image already sysprepped it is necessary to change the SID
> (and the machine name) so it can rejoin the domain via wireless. Bart
> and some other ones claim to have support for 16 bit in PE. What files
> provide the DOS support in XP/2K? I could code a console app in Delphi
> that launches ghstwalk as a child?????? I can't believe Symantec
> released a 32 bit Ghost specifically for PE with no ghostwalk.
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:29:14 +0100, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]"
> <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message
>>> It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
>>> ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
>>> DOS support or how do I walk the SID?
>>
>>There is no 16-bit or DOS tool based support in Windows PE.
>>Why use ghstwalk.exe ? - use SYSPREP to regenerate the machine SID etc.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mike

ntvdm.exe with autoexec.nt and config.nt config files (it will refuse to start without them). Plus a fair few registry entries. But access to hardware is via vxds (virtual device drivers). Which wil probably also have to be migrated over. Nearly all things dos are implemented as a vxd for Dos programs to be allowed to access (vxd pretend to programs they have exclusive access to hardware - needed in a multitasking OS).

"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message news:2m29815nc8crekik0qe6th3144eur8qolp@4ax.com...
>I appreciate your response and ordinarily we do use sysprep. The
> problem here is that we need to 'retrofit' about 300 wireless carts
> that cannot eaisly be hardwired to the network. After reghosting them
> with an image already sysprepped it is necessary to change the SID
> (and the machine name) so it can rejoin the domain via wireless. Bart
> and some other ones claim to have support for 16 bit in PE. What files
> provide the DOS support in XP/2K? I could code a console app in Delphi
> that launches ghstwalk as a child?????? I can't believe Symantec
> released a 32 bit Ghost specifically for PE with no ghostwalk.
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:29:14 +0100, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]"
> <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>"kinked" <kinded@aaa.com> wrote in message
>>> It's driving me crazy - I got PE fine and running ghost32 fine but
>>> ghstwalk.exe is a 16 bit app and won't run on PE. How do get 16 bit
>>> DOS support or how do I walk the SID?
>>
>>There is no 16-bit or DOS tool based support in Windows PE.
>>Why use ghstwalk.exe ? - use SYSPREP to regenerate the machine SID etc.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mike

I know Bart & his PE are not Microsoft. I am less than impressed with
his efforts - he's just another LINUX guy who can't spell as far as I
am concerned. We are a 10,000+ workstation company and our PE use is
internal only. I don't think it is a EULA violation.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 13:07:24 +0100, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]"