CPU, Motherboard, RAM?

collins8

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2004
Getting ready to build a computer and I want to try and get the best Bang for the buck on the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. I do not mind it if I have to do a basic overclock to get my performance but I would like to stay with the supplied CPU cooler to save money. Bottom line is I want good components that are very reliable.

I was thinking of going with the following:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Is this the latest version 3.3 of this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012

From what I have read this processor is easily overclocked and hard to beat for perfromance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115013

This puts me at the $370 point for these components. If someone knows of a better combination for the money and performance wise; and has the ability to upgrade in the future pleae let me know.

Rob

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
This is a very good combination.

It is not known if that is the rev 3.3 version.

It's SPECs are from REV 1.0 but it is priced higher than the
REV 1.3 on the site.

I suspect if you order that link you would most likely get the 3.3 Rev, but that New Egg is not promising it yet and likely have a number of the older ones they are still shipping to customers. It could be they just failed to update the specs.

I would either order from a different company that specfically stated REV 3.3 and posted the correct specs. (Support for FSB 1333 at a minimum.) or perhaps contact a service representative before placing the order to confirm you will be getting the correct board.

The RAM is a bit of an overkill, but still fine.
DDR2-667 will get you to 3.0 Ghz and a bit beyond, but the faster ram is always nice since you will have plenty of headroom if you ever change the procesor.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Seems like a professonal site.

No personal knowledge.
You could always try calling their #, 1-877-6CLUBIT.

Usually the fly-by-night/NYC Camera Scam Site (You know the ones selling cameras new for 75% under reputable sites :>>) definately give you the creeps if you call them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually called a few places for fun after reading some articles that looked "questionable".

I know somebody who bought a camera from one of those places and the camera was fine, but he also bought $300-$400 worth of "Accessories" that clearly cost $3-$4 to make. The glass in the "ZOOM" lens look like it was taken from the bottom of a glass coke bottle. You could not even see through it. The Tripod could not support even the weight of the camera, the bag was uber cheap, and I have no doubt the "extended" warranty was worth less than the paper it was written on.

So I called the same place and tried to order the camera.
Yes it was in stock.
Yes they could ship it today.

No, I don't want ANY accessories.
No, I don't want ANY warranty.

Oh, you were mistaken about it being in stock?
Oh, you are not sure when it will be in stock?

No, you can't have my credit card for when they come in :>>

pho3nix3871

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
it all looks good except here's a rebate deal for RAM go to www.slickdeals.net and go to may 7th section.

Buy.com has 2GB (2 x 1GB)Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 desktop memory kit (with LED lights) for $160 - $5 coupon (new customers/email) - $40 rebate = $115. Lowest on PriceGrabber is $177 after $60 MIR. Thanks $lickDeal$Fan

New Google Checkout users can save an extra $10 making it $110 (can not be combined with coupon).

Fillable rebate form. Thanks chaggio [discuss]

Fillable rebate forms for the Crucial Ballistix and Crucial Ballistix Tracer. Thanks nimaim.

Mwave has Crucial Ballistix 2GB (1GB x 2) Match Pair PC2 8000 1000MHZ Desktop Memory for $155 - $40 rebate (exp 5/10) = $115. Shipping begins around $7. Thanks Idiot_Hacker. [discuss]. Fillable rebate. Thanks nimaim.

This is a highly overclockable ram with either normal or the tracer and it has LED lights to display status. it's speed is 1000GHz or 1066GHz depending on which one you choose.