sinikal

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hello,

I recently built a new computer and installed Vista 64. The installation went smoothly and everything is running fine. However, I do have a couple questions.

1. Un-signed drivers. I am trying to install RivaTuner 2.06 so I can adjust the fan speed of my 8800GT SLIs to 65% or so. However, Vista is giving me an unsigned driver message. I have googled this problem and tried several command prompt commands to turn it off. I need to install RivaTuner and would like to disable checking for unsigned drivers. I have this new PC and am afraid to play games because of the fan speed set to 29% (I dont wanna break these babies).

2. RAM. I initially only installed 2GB of RAM because of problems Vista had with 4GB when the OS was loaded. I have ran Windows Update (35 updates). Is it okay for me to install my other 2GB of RAM or do I need to download a hotfix to fix the issue?

3. SLI. At one point in the installation process I thought I enabled SLI but I am unsure if its still working. Where can I check to see if my computer is using the second 8800GT?

Current Specs
eVGA 680i A1
Q6600 @ 2.4 (Zalman 9500)
2GB Crucial (2GB more but not installed)
eVGA 8800GT SLI
Vista 64-bit

The hot fix for the RAM is KB 929777 Install it with the 2GB. Make sure you reboot on the 2GB, and later install the other two at your convenience.

You can hit F8 when you boot, and disable the check for Signed Drivers. The problem with this is you can no longer permanently disable this check. Probably because some Security Nazi pointed out that disabling it leaves your system less protected. By doing this, can get it installed. But to run it you would have to manually F8 and deselect the Unsigned Driver check every time you boot.

If you're far, far, far more adept at this than I, you can try to sign the thing yourself:

- Install the Windows Driver Kit.
- Use MAKECERT to create your own certificate.
- Use SIGNTOOL to sign and timestamp driver files.
- Add your cert to trusted root certs store on your computer.
- Install drivers, enjoy.

For more info refer to online WDK documentation (watch line wrapping):
http://msdn.com/library/en-us/DevInst_d/hh/DevInst_d/Driver-Signing-over_a8832a63-b31c-49b4-af2e-2e595cf8fca6.xml.asp

You may also turn on kernel debugging which by default turns off driver
signing by running 'bcdedit -debug on' command but I'm not sure if it is a good idea and if there are any implications in running in debug mode.
http://msdn.com/library/en-us/DevInst_d/hh/DevInst_d/Driver-Signing-over_ef1cc06b-20f2-4621-a174-0cbed6ebbd71.xml.asp

No guarantees tho - That stuff is over my head.

The other thing to do is call/eMail support at Rivatuner and bitch to get a signed driver. If that doesn't work, you're stuck with finding another app that does the same thing.

I have no personal experience with SLI - But after checking 'Devices' to see that the cards are both physically working, the first place I can think of to look would be to right-click an empty spot on the desktop and start up the nVidia app. It should tell you in there what you have and what mode you're in.