CD-ROM causing problems

tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I dunno where to post it.
I have this kind of problem.
When I put a CD into my cdrom and copy something from it to my HD my pc go into an extreme video lag.
Mouse scatter video and audio lag extremely.
Anyone can suggest me what problem can this be?

I have a powerful pc E6600 2 gig ram x1950xt ecc

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The drive controller your CD drive is connected to may be running in PIO mode. You want it to run in DMA mode.

Go to Control Panel / System, Hardware tab, click Device Manager

Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA / ATAPI CONTROLLERS

You will see several lines beneath this which say PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL or SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL or similar. For each of these, do the following:

Right click, select Properties, select Advanced Settings tab. Where it says Transfer Mode, set each one to DMA IF AVAILABLE. Click OK and go on to the the next one.

Once you have changed them all, reboot your machine and see if the problem is gone.

tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I did as u said and there was one of my cdrom in PIO mode.
Now i put DMA if available but when i restart my computer it keeps Dma if available but continue working in PIO mode :S

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
That's what is causing the problem. Not really sure why it's running in PIO mode though. You might try swapping out the cable the drive is connected to, and put it on an 80 wire cable if it isn't already using one. Maybe put it on the other connector on the cable and see if it makes a difference.

The BIOS can have settings that deal with this sort of thing, but they are generally ignored once you get into Windows. Perhaps your machine is different though. You might check the BIOS options for anything relating to PIO or DMA mode.

Unfortunately the exact description and location of such a setting can vary from one BIOS to the next, so I can't give you detailed instructions.

Which motherboard and CD drive do you have?

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
That's what is causing the problem. Not really sure why it's running in PIO mode though. You might try swapping out the cable the drive is connected to, and put it on an 80 wire cable if it isn't already using one. Maybe put it on the other connector on the cable and see if it makes a difference.

The BIOS can have settings that deal with this sort of thing, but they are generally ignored once you get into Windows. Perhaps your machine is different though. You might check the BIOS options for anything relating to PIO or DMA mode.

Unfortunately the exact description and location of such a setting can vary from one BIOS to the next, so I can't give you detailed instructions.

Which motherboard and CD drive do you have?

THX!!

Just fixed my problem.. Tryed to beat it in XP for month, why the heck did it never occur to me that there could be a similar setting in BIOS :roll: 8O

tukulka

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I solved too.
I dunno why but i had it not on primary ide connector.
Now i moved on primary IDE and all works fine :)