Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Linux distro that will run as LiveCD on P3 with 128 MB Ram

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
July 3, 2009 6:10:21 PM

Hi all,

I have an old P3 800 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM. There are some files I would like to back up (several gigabytes actually). I do have an external hard disk but it is formatted with NTFS and the PC in question has Windows ME so I am guessing that will not work. I suppose that I could burn everything to CDs (would take way too long) or use USB keys (again time consuming).

Can any one recommend a Linux distro that will run on this as a LiveCD. I did try Kubuntu 8 and 9 but did not have any luck. I used Kubuntu 8 on my Toshiba laptop and saw that the RAM usage as a LiveCD was more than 700 MB.

All I really need is a user interface where I can just drag and drop the files I need to copy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S.
After trying Kubuntu 8 and 9 I must say I like them both. When I have time I will get another USB key and try running it on my Toshiba laptop since I found out it can boot from USB.
July 4, 2009 9:01:42 AM

Yes, DSL does have NTFS support out of the box :) 
Related resources
July 5, 2009 1:41:14 AM

I was looking at DSL but ended up going with the latest version of Knoppix. I must say that I was impressed with how well it ran as a LiveCD. In the end I am just glad it worked out.
July 5, 2009 6:56:18 AM

Knoppix is an amazing live cd! The only reason I didn't suggest it is the limited amount of RAM, 128MB is not a lot by todays standards.

Knoppix has a bigger brother, the Knoppix DVD with lots of junk in the trunk :D  :lol: 
July 7, 2009 6:32:35 AM

Well a fully featured Linux distro would work too...

Linux is still great for old stuffs.
!