Using Vista Ultimate upgrade disk/clean install

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I'll be doing a new system next week, and I'll be using vista ultimate. I can get the upgrade cd from my college for 30 bucks. I read on here that it's possible to do a clean install using the upgrade disk, but I cant seem to find the information anymore. Can anyone assist with the needed info to make it happen. Thanks.

fiasko!

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
With the XP upgrade disk the setup program asked to put the old version of the OS in the drive. It verifies the disk and then tells you to put the new one back in and installs it like normal.

I had this problem upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit vista. IE: how do you upgrade since you can't run the upgrade on a 32 bit system?

What you do is a two step process.
First, you boot the upgrade dvd, and when it prompts you to enter your product id, just don't enter anything and continue on. If you enter your product id now, it will say that it is only good to update, not a clean install. This will give you a working system that is not registered. You will have to pick which version of vista you bought.

Next, boot from the dvd again, and this time, you can enter the product id. The upgrade process will continue normally.

As a matter of interest, are there any limitations on using an academic version?

---good luck---
---good luck----

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
So far it worked perfectly. I dont know if this is the same academic edition that you can buy online, im sure it is, but i cant confirm that 100%. I got this vista ultimate upgrade disk from a local school for 35 dollars. It worked on a complete new system build, although it seemed to be rather slow installing. Some screens took forever it seemed like, but once I got it installed, it has worked perfectly.