Why windows protection error when tried to install windows 98

why windows protection comes error when tried to install windows 98
8 answers Last reply
More about windows protection error install windows
  1. The hardware on many modern motherboards is not compatible with Windows 98. This might be the cause of your problem. If you are trying to install on a modern PC it may not work.
  2. It could also be that you have too much memory installed on that PC. Win98 has a bug that causes problems if have more than 512 MB of RAM
  3. i am instaled windows 98 in a pc which works with 98 earlier. but the hard disk is eplaced with a newer one.. then how it is possible?
  4. But i have only 256MB RAM in my computer... i think it is some other problem...
  5. Is this Windows 98 Second Edition?

Also, bad memory is known to cause issues when installing Windows.
  6. You could try running Memtest86+ for a few passes to see if your RAM is bad. Any error indicates bad RAM. If you're running Win9x-era hardware, with 256MB of RAM, replacement memory (probably PC100/PC133) will not cost you much, AFAIK. You can get it from a dumpster PC to be honest, I have like a drawer of PC66/100/133 mostly.

You can write mt86+ to a floppy and boot to it: http://www.memtest.org/
  7. Hey arun,

Do you also notice, if you can, in device manager, if your IDE controllers have exclamation points next to them?
  8. Just a thought but when I got this error someone told me to boot into safe mode and delete my network adapter and it worked.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 98 Windows