Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HOW MUCH RAM CAN A MAC TAKE

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Macintosh
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
July 29, 2009 7:13:29 PM

I know this may not be the right thread or not.

Just wanted to know how much ram can a MAC OS X take.

for example, if I put in 8gb will the OS read only 3gb or all 8gb.

not a MAc user yet so I would like to know.

Thanks again! :D 

Might Mouse

More about : ram mac

July 29, 2009 8:18:37 PM

If it is using a 32bit version of the OS I'd bet it would not recognize anything more than 4GB of RAM.
July 29, 2009 8:32:55 PM

Zorak said:
If it is using a 32bit version of the OS I'd bet it would not recognize anything more than 4GB of RAM.



sorry, should have made that clear!

P5w DH deluxe .... 64-bit which this MOBO can handle 8gb RAM


Thanks again!

Mighty Mouse
July 29, 2009 8:38:41 PM

I was under the impression that you had a 64 bit processor (most new machines have 64bit processors), but what I was saying is that you will need a version of the operating system compiled for 64 bit processors to address more than 4GB of RAM.

--Zorak
July 29, 2009 8:39:19 PM

Well.. you're going to like the answer:


Quote:
The forthcoming operating [Snow Leopard] system will lift the theoretical system memory limit to 16 TB. Mac OS X, a 64-bit operating system, supports addressing up to 4 TB of physical memory today. Current Mac Pro models can accommodate up to 32 GB of RAM.


From Info Week

July 29, 2009 8:54:52 PM

it's The 10.5.6 version if that is the same thing I'm talking about. if so ,I won't be wasting money if I get all 8GB after all.

sweet!

Thanks again!

Might Mouse
July 29, 2009 9:06:44 PM

I'm not a Mac expert but it looks like 10.5 is Leopard and 10.5.6 is the patched version. Looks like a go but I'd double check before you drop any cash on it.
July 30, 2009 12:07:37 AM

audiovoodoo said:
I'm not a Mac expert but it looks like 10.5 is Leopard and 10.5.6 is the patched version. Looks like a go but I'd double check before you drop any cash on it.




Thanks audiovoodoo !

:) 
July 31, 2009 2:20:47 AM

Mighty Mouse said:
I know this may not be the right thread or not.

Just wanted to know how much ram can a MAC OS X take.

for example, if I put in 8gb will the OS read only 3gb or all 8gb.

not a MAc user yet so I would like to know.

Thanks again! :D 

Might Mouse


It really depends. The PPC970 (G5) units and the Core 2/i7 units have 64-bit capable CPUs, while the PPC74xx (G4) and earlier are 32-bit only, as is the Core Duo. I don't think the units with 32-bit CPUs can actually fit more than 4 GB RAM, so you should be fine from a hardware standpoint. However, MacOS X is a weird duck. OS 10.4 supported the PPC970s and the version that ran on them has a 64-bit kernel but the userspace is 32-bit, IIRC. I think OS 10.5 is available in a fully 64-bit version. Apple is very mum about what's under OS X's hood, so it's hard to really tell without some serious digging. They didn't come out with obvious x86 and AMD64 variants like every other OS did.

However, it looks like you're trying to create a "Hackintosh" using an ASUS LGA775 board and a cracked OS X disk rather than upgrade the RAM in an old Macintosh, so you're probably running 10.5.x and it should support plenty of RAM. I would say proceed with caution in making a Hackintosh as it's not exactly sanctioned by Apple and can be a real PITA to get working. In any way, don't count on it as your main machine. If you want a *nix-powered machine with a lot of GUI glitz, get a copy of Kubuntu Linux and turn all of the Compiz effects on. It is plenty flashy but is 100% legal and is fall-off-a-log easy to install (and maintain!) compared to fighting with getting OS X on non-Apple hardware.
July 31, 2009 6:27:54 AM

Quote:
If you want a *nix-powered machine with a lot of GUI glitz, get a copy of Kubuntu Linux and turn all of the Compiz effects on. It is plenty flashy but is 100% legal and is fall-off-a-log easy to install (and maintain!) compared to fighting with getting OS X on non-Apple hardware


This is only an experiment I'm working on just to see if it works and compare the speed.

Speed means everything to me and experiments I love doing even if it does crash my PC.

what can I say, I love a thrill. even if some of you guys may think I'm a little crazy :pt1cable: 

Linus I love so that I have no problem doing if all else fails. I'll just install my XP pro and Linux on one computer...... no big deal.


I do agree of what your saying. however, like I said..... this is only an experiment for fun and at the end of it all.... I still get a good Fast Computer.

Thanks for the advice. :hello: 
August 2, 2009 1:41:26 AM

You're better off triple booting ( Linux, OS X and XP ) from the start because you never know when apple is going to release an update which bricks your box.

Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck :) 
August 3, 2009 6:03:26 AM

linux_0 said:
You're better off triple booting ( Linux, OS X and XP ) from the start because you never know when apple is going to release an update which bricks your box.

Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck :) 



You have a real good point! That's ok, I love Linux Anyway. [:mighty mouse]

Thanks!
Mighty Mouse
!