Cannot INSTALL

Last response: in Video Games
May 3, 2005 10:53:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
deice.exe.

Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

~Iain

More about : install

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:18:31 PM

On 3 May 2005 06:53:46 -0700, "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
>deice.exe.

Have you tried:
- DosBox?
- A bootable disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/

>Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

That sounds like you have a very old version of Quake (e.g. 1.01). Once
you manage to get it installed, burn the files to a CD or other permanent
media, along with the 1.06 patch. (Ignore the 1.08 patch unless you have
the expansion.)
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:07:17 AM

"Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
> deice.exe.
>
> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

http://equake.quakeworld.nu/
http://www.fuhquake.net/
May 5, 2005 5:25:10 AM

Stephen Howe wrote:
> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file
or
> > deice.exe.
>
> Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
>
> > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>
> And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
Pack 2.
> I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of
Armagon and
> Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
> Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
>
> Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
> If you are having problems, mention them here.
> You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
than
> ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

And how do I install the data files?

~Iain
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:24:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
> deice.exe.

Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.

> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service Pack 2.
I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of Armagon and
Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.

Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
If you are having problems, mention them here.
You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily than
ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

Cheers

Stephen Howe
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 10:52:02 AM

Stephen Howe wrote:
> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file
or
> > deice.exe.
>
> Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
>
> > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>
> And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
Pack 2.
> I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of
Armagon and
> Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
> Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
>
> Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
> If you are having problems, mention them here.
> You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
than
> ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do with
installation).

~Iain
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:10:58 PM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:

> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do with
> installation).

Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you that
way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.

Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:36:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
> deice.exe.
>
> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>
> ~Iain

Ok lain, that's a bad start. You can run deice in a dos box. That
will get things unpacked. I run XP Pro SP2 and the vanilla installer of
Quake will NOT run for me either. I found it very convenient to keep my
complete Quake folders as installed backed up to a CD (from a Win98SE
install of the game) and just copy the folders to my C:\Games\ folder.
It's a DOS game and not registered. I do run WinQuake 1.0 as it does
run Quake perfectly in XP Pro SP2 and the plain old quake and Quakeworld
just crash. You do have to run the WinQuake installer after getting all
the Quake files where they go though, as it registers itself.
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:40:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:9leee.562$T3.3157@typhoon.sonic.net
> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
>> deice.exe.
>>
>> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>
> http://equake.quakeworld.nu/
> http://www.fuhquake.net/

WinQuake and GLQuake run basically 'vanilla' Quake. eQuake/FUH Quake
run a heavily modded engine. Enough so that I won't spend the time to
learn a whole new set of cvars and commands and rules just to try to set
it up to play with my own keys and setups. SOme are considered cheats
by FUH quake and are not allowed at all. Nor the hook.
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:42:54 AM

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
>> deice.exe.
>
> Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
>
>> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>
> And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
> Pack 2. I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge
> of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no
> problem. Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
>
> Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
> If you are having problems, mention them here.
> You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
> than ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.
>
> Cheers
>
> Stephen Howe

I think he means that the Quake setup.exe or install.exe won't work in
his XP. Once he gets it ON the hd, then he'll find that Quake.exe and
qw.exe/qwgl.exe won't work either. Then, he'll appreciate the less than
400K Winquake :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:45:40 AM

> Stephen Howe wrote:
>> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
>>> deice.exe.
>>
>> Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
>>
>>> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
>>
>> And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
>> Pack 2. I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge
>> of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no
>> problem.
>> Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
>>
>> Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
>> If you are having problems, mention them here.
>> You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP
>> satisfactorily than ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working
>> 100% under XP.
>>

> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
> with installation).
>
> ~Iain

see if you can run the deice unpacker from the command prompt (dosbox).
If you can, then you can set it up manually. I had saved an ancient
W98SE installation of it to CD and just copy my game folders over with
all files, then sort out what's there and install WinQuake fresh (it
puts entries in the registry, Quake is DOS and doesn't). then, it runs.
:)
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:47:05 AM

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.05.19.10.58.81062@invalid.lan
> On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:
>
>> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
>> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
>> with installation).
>
> Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
> that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.

He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
lazy.
McG.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 10:34:47 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.05.05.19.10.58.81062@invalid.lan
> > On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:
> >
> >> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
> >> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
> >> with installation).
> >
> > Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
> > that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.
>
> He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
> gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
> lazy.

I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but this
question has been asked many many times by people and not one single
person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone harps
on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in capitals
in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
WinQuake".

Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.

~Iain
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 9:18:27 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> >> news:p an.2005.05.05.19.10.58.81062@invalid.lan

> >> He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
> >> gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped,
not
> >> lazy.
> >
> > I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but
this
> > question has been asked many many times by people and not one
single
> > person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone
harps
> > on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in
capitals
> > in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
> > WinQuake".
> >
> > Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.
> >
> > ~Iain
>
> You're welcome :)  Did you get it installed yet?
> McG.

Yep -- Deice wouldn't run in a DOS box until I found that my
autoexec.nt(necessary for running many DOS-based software in XP) file
was missing, for some reason, but got it running in the end.

~Iain
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:31:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.05.05.19.10.58.81062@invalid.lan

>>> Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
>>> that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.
>>
>> He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
>> gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
>> lazy.
>
> I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but this
> question has been asked many many times by people and not one single
> person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone harps
> on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in capitals
> in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
> WinQuake".
>
> Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.
>
> ~Iain

You're welcome :)  Did you get it installed yet?
McG.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:21:08 AM

On 27 May 2005 07:23:26 -0700, "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote:

>McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Doesn't matter. 32 bit runs great. Can't see 'hinder' when the FPS is
>> in the hundreds :)  Even played on a couple ProQuake RUNES sites.
>> Swapped a few frags and now playing with my keys setups. Will run
>> through the SP game again for old times sake :)
>
>I think Quake 1 Single Player deserves to be re-made.

Tenebrae: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

(Unless you're talking about gameplay mechanics...)
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:53:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"DorKwolf"

>> Aw don't sweat it, it'll turn up somewhere. I haven't even looked
>> on my Quake downloads CD's yet.
>> Malware isn't my reason for disliking mass p2p, it's my IP and system
>> that become known to that hub. I just don't like that.
>> McG.
>>

> RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
> http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/

Got it!
Thanks
McG.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:20:52 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "DorKwolf"
>

>>>Aw don't sweat it, it'll turn up somewhere. I haven't even looked
>>>on my Quake downloads CD's yet.
>>>Malware isn't my reason for disliking mass p2p, it's my IP and system
>>>that become known to that hub. I just don't like that.
>>>McG.
>>>

>>RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
>>http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/
>

> Got it!
> Thanks
> McG.

Yes? You don't like my name?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:20:46 PM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:20:52 +0000, DorKwolf wrote:

> Yes? You don't like my name?

I think it fits you perfectly.

Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:36:16 PM

"DorKwolf" <DorK313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 3eme.2977$MI4.786@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "DorKwolf"

>>> RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
>>> http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/
>>

>> Got it!
>> Thanks
>> McG.
>>

> Yes? You don't like my name?

Which has to do with what?
McG.
July 7, 2005 11:08:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:Qjlme.19310$6g3.850
@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Tanebrae is now a problem to download. Try either Telejano or TomazQuake.
There's also the GLQuake 1.13 exe as well. For eye candy, Telejano is
second to Tanebrae, then the others follow. I use GLQuake 1.13 for
comaptability with all the old classic mods like AlienQuake, Abyss of
pandemonium, Nahara and the like.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:59:07 PM

"Stan" <stan@where.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in
> news:Qjlme.19310$6g3.850 @tornado.texas.rr.com:
>
> Tanebrae is now a problem to download. Try either Telejano or
> TomazQuake. There's also the GLQuake 1.13 exe as well. For eye candy,
> Telejano is second to Tanebrae, then the others follow. I use GLQuake
> 1.13 for comaptability with all the old classic mods like AlienQuake,
> Abyss of pandemonium, Nahara and the like.

Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early version
of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is giving me
the best service of all of them :)  Still, 1280x1024-32 gives me 247
fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early days!
McG.
July 8, 2005 7:44:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early version
> of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is giving me
> the best service of all of them :)  Still, 1280x1024-32 gives me 247
> fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early days!
> McG.

The highest res I can run at is 1024x768 but that's due to my monitor. If I
run Telejano v8.41 I turn on everything especially all the mirror
reflections, real smoke, etc. I was dissappointed that it would crash with
somer of the old mods, hence TomazQuake 1.48 and GLQuake 1.13 as backups.

Try looking here for all those old mods:

www.quaketerminus.com/addon.html

and here: for Telejano: telejano.berlios.de/wiki3
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:30:13 AM

>> Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early
>> version of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is
>> giving me the best service of all of them :)  Still, 1280x1024-32
>> gives me 247 fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early
>> days!
>> McG.
>>
> The highest res I can run at is 1024x768 but that's due to my
> monitor. If I run Telejano v8.41 I turn on everything especially all
> the mirror reflections, real smoke, etc. I was dissappointed that it
> would crash with somer of the old mods, hence TomazQuake 1.48 and
> GLQuake 1.13 as backups.
>
> Try looking here for all those old mods:
>
> www.quaketerminus.com/addon.html
>
> and here: for Telejano: telejano.berlios.de/wiki3

Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
that along quite nicely :)
So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because it's
fun!
McG.
July 9, 2005 3:11:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
> running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
> bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
> that along quite nicely :)
> So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because it's
> fun!
> McG.
>

> How did you go downlaoding Tanebrae? Every time I try, I get about 3/4 of
the download and then it stops. Someone suggested that it's because of a
malformed packet being sent from the sourceforge server. Can it be
downloaded anywhere else? - Stan
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:08:25 AM

>> Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
>> running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
>> bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
>> that along quite nicely :)
>> So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because
>> it's fun!
>> McG.
>>

>> How did you go downlaoding Tanebrae? Every time I try, I get about
>> 3/4 of
> the download and then it stops. Someone suggested that it's because
> of a malformed packet being sent from the sourceforge server. Can it
> be downloaded anywhere else? - Stan

I had it backed up to an archive cd of my games dl's.

I also just dl'd the latest version from here:
http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download...
no problems.

I got the 4.3 meg installer, the mapping tools and the water viss patch.
Just now. Check it again?

McG.
!