Cannot INSTALL

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
deice.exe.

Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

~Iain
25 answers Last reply
More about cannot install
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On 3 May 2005 06:53:46 -0700, "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    >deice.exe.

    Have you tried:
    - DosBox?
    - A bootable disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/

    >Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

    That sounds like you have a very old version of Quake (e.g. 1.01). Once
    you manage to get it installed, burn the files to a CD or other permanent
    media, along with the 1.06 patch. (Ignore the 1.08 patch unless you have
    the expansion.)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    > deice.exe.
    >
    > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

    http://equake.quakeworld.nu/
    http://www.fuhquake.net/
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    Stephen Howe wrote:
    > "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file
    or
    > > deice.exe.
    >
    > Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
    >
    > > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >
    > And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
    Pack 2.
    > I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of
    Armagon and
    > Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
    > Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
    >
    > Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
    > If you are having problems, mention them here.
    > You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
    than
    > ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

    And how do I install the data files?

    ~Iain
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    > deice.exe.

    Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.

    > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?

    And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service Pack 2.
    I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of Armagon and
    Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
    Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.

    Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
    If you are having problems, mention them here.
    You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily than
    ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

    Cheers

    Stephen Howe
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    Stephen Howe wrote:
    > "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file
    or
    > > deice.exe.
    >
    > Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
    >
    > > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >
    > And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
    Pack 2.
    > I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge of
    Armagon and
    > Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no problem.
    > Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
    >
    > Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
    > If you are having problems, mention them here.
    > You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
    than
    > ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.

    INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
    matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do with
    installation).

    ~Iain
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:

    > INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
    > matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do with
    > installation).

    Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you that
    way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    > deice.exe.
    >
    > Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >
    > ~Iain

    Ok lain, that's a bad start. You can run deice in a dos box. That
    will get things unpacked. I run XP Pro SP2 and the vanilla installer of
    Quake will NOT run for me either. I found it very convenient to keep my
    complete Quake folders as installed backed up to a CD (from a Win98SE
    install of the game) and just copy the folders to my C:\Games\ folder.
    It's a DOS game and not registered. I do run WinQuake 1.0 as it does
    run Quake perfectly in XP Pro SP2 and the plain old quake and Quakeworld
    just crash. You do have to run the WinQuake installer after getting all
    the Quake files where they go though, as it registers itself.
    McG.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:9leee.562$T3.3157@typhoon.sonic.net
    > "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    >> deice.exe.
    >>
    >> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >
    > http://equake.quakeworld.nu/
    > http://www.fuhquake.net/

    WinQuake and GLQuake run basically 'vanilla' Quake. eQuake/FUH Quake
    run a heavily modded engine. Enough so that I won't spend the time to
    learn a whole new set of cvars and commands and rules just to try to set
    it up to play with my own keys and setups. SOme are considered cheats
    by FUH quake and are not allowed at all. Nor the hook.
    McG.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
    > "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    >> deice.exe.
    >
    > Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
    >
    >> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >
    > And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
    > Pack 2. I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge
    > of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no
    > problem. Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
    >
    > Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
    > If you are having problems, mention them here.
    > You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP satisfactorily
    > than ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working 100% under XP.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Stephen Howe

    I think he means that the Quake setup.exe or install.exe won't work in
    his XP. Once he gets it ON the hd, then he'll find that Quake.exe and
    qw.exe/qwgl.exe won't work either. Then, he'll appreciate the less than
    400K Winquake :)
    McG.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > Stephen Howe wrote:
    >> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How do I INSTALL Quake in Windows XP? It won't run the batch file or
    >>> deice.exe.
    >>
    >> Why do you want to install Quake? It is DOS-based.
    >>
    >>> Nobody dare mention Winquake or Glquake again -- How do I INSTALL?
    >>
    >> And why not? I am using WinQuake 1.09 on XP Professional, Service
    >> Pack 2. I am playing both Quake and the 2 expansion packs : Scourge
    >> of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity at 1280x1024 resolution, no
    >> problem.
    >> Sound, Keyboard, Mice, CD Music by NIN works likes a dream.
    >>
    >> Your best bet: Get WinQuake going.
    >> If you are having problems, mention them here.
    >> You stand more chance of running this under Windows XP
    >> satisfactorily than ever getting the original Quake-for-DOS working
    >> 100% under XP.
    >>

    > INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
    > matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
    > with installation).
    >
    > ~Iain

    see if you can run the deice unpacker from the command prompt (dosbox).
    If you can, then you can set it up manually. I had saved an ancient
    W98SE installation of it to CD and just copy my game folders over with
    all files, then sort out what's there and install WinQuake fresh (it
    puts entries in the registry, Quake is DOS and doesn't). then, it runs.
    :)
    McG.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:
    >
    >> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
    >> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
    >> with installation).
    >
    > Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
    > that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.

    He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
    gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
    lazy.
    McG.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52:02 -0700, Iain wrote:
    > >
    > >> INSTALL INSTALL INSTALL. Either way I need to install. It doesn't
    > >> matter what I do -- someone always mentions WinQuake(nothing to do
    > >> with installation).
    > >
    > > Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
    > > that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.
    >
    > He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
    > gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
    > lazy.

    I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but this
    question has been asked many many times by people and not one single
    person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone harps
    on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in capitals
    in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
    WinQuake".

    Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.

    ~Iain
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > >> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

    > >> He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
    > >> gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped,
    not
    > >> lazy.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but
    this
    > > question has been asked many many times by people and not one
    single
    > > person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone
    harps
    > > on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in
    capitals
    > > in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
    > > WinQuake".
    > >
    > > Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.
    > >
    > > ~Iain
    >
    > You're welcome :) Did you get it installed yet?
    > McG.

    Yep -- Deice wouldn't run in a DOS box until I found that my
    autoexec.nt(necessary for running many DOS-based software in XP) file
    was missing, for some reason, but got it running in the end.

    ~Iain
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

    >>> Were you born ignorant, or has a lifetime of spoon-feeding made you
    >>> that way. Do something for yourself, you lazy dweeb.
    >>
    >> He was just trying to get someone to tell him HOW he can get the
    >> gamefiles unpacked and on his hd. I'd call the person stumped, not
    >> lazy.
    >
    > I wouldn't normally be so persistant and uneloquent about it, but this
    > question has been asked many many times by people and not one single
    > person ever reads one of the questions properly and so everyone harps
    > on about WinQuake and such -- I thought putting "INSTALL" in capitals
    > in the original post would be enough, but someone still said "Use
    > WinQuake".
    >
    > Thanks for your answers elsewhere in the thread, btw.
    >
    > ~Iain

    You're welcome :) Did you get it installed yet?
    McG.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On 27 May 2005 07:23:26 -0700, "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >McGrandpa wrote:
    >> "Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter. 32 bit runs great. Can't see 'hinder' when the FPS is
    >> in the hundreds :) Even played on a couple ProQuake RUNES sites.
    >> Swapped a few frags and now playing with my keys setups. Will run
    >> through the SP game again for old times sake :)
    >
    >I think Quake 1 Single Player deserves to be re-made.

    Tenebrae: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

    (Unless you're talking about gameplay mechanics...)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "DorKwolf"

    >> Aw don't sweat it, it'll turn up somewhere. I haven't even looked
    >> on my Quake downloads CD's yet.
    >> Malware isn't my reason for disliking mass p2p, it's my IP and system
    >> that become known to that hub. I just don't like that.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
    > http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/

    Got it!
    Thanks
    McG.

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "DorKwolf"
    >

    >>>Aw don't sweat it, it'll turn up somewhere. I haven't even looked
    >>>on my Quake downloads CD's yet.
    >>>Malware isn't my reason for disliking mass p2p, it's my IP and system
    >>>that become known to that hub. I just don't like that.
    >>>McG.
    >>>

    >>RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
    >>http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/
    >

    > Got it!
    > Thanks
    > McG.

    Yes? You don't like my name?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:20:52 +0000, DorKwolf wrote:

    > Yes? You don't like my name?

    I think it fits you perfectly.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "DorKwolf" <DorK313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >> "DorKwolf"

    >>> RETROQUAKE has the Killer Quake Patch now.
    >>> http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/
    >>

    >> Got it!
    >> Thanks
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Yes? You don't like my name?

    Which has to do with what?
    McG.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:Qjlme.19310$6g3.850
    @tornado.texas.rr.com:

    Tanebrae is now a problem to download. Try either Telejano or TomazQuake.
    There's also the GLQuake 1.13 exe as well. For eye candy, Telejano is
    second to Tanebrae, then the others follow. I use GLQuake 1.13 for
    comaptability with all the old classic mods like AlienQuake, Abyss of
    pandemonium, Nahara and the like.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Stan" <stan@where.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in
    > news:Qjlme.19310$6g3.850 @tornado.texas.rr.com:
    >
    > Tanebrae is now a problem to download. Try either Telejano or
    > TomazQuake. There's also the GLQuake 1.13 exe as well. For eye candy,
    > Telejano is second to Tanebrae, then the others follow. I use GLQuake
    > 1.13 for comaptability with all the old classic mods like AlienQuake,
    > Abyss of pandemonium, Nahara and the like.

    Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early version
    of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is giving me
    the best service of all of them :) Still, 1280x1024-32 gives me 247
    fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early days!
    McG.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early version
    > of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is giving me
    > the best service of all of them :) Still, 1280x1024-32 gives me 247
    > fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early days!
    > McG.

    The highest res I can run at is 1024x768 but that's due to my monitor. If I
    run Telejano v8.41 I turn on everything especially all the mirror
    reflections, real smoke, etc. I was dissappointed that it would crash with
    somer of the old mods, hence TomazQuake 1.48 and GLQuake 1.13 as backups.

    Try looking here for all those old mods:

    www.quaketerminus.com/addon.html

    and here: for Telejano: telejano.berlios.de/wiki3
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    >> Thanks, I'm checking them out as I find them. I have an early
    >> version of Tenebrai, have a good working version of GLQuake which is
    >> giving me the best service of all of them :) Still, 1280x1024-32
    >> gives me 247 fps, sure wish I could have seen THAT back in the early
    >> days!
    >> McG.
    >>
    > The highest res I can run at is 1024x768 but that's due to my
    > monitor. If I run Telejano v8.41 I turn on everything especially all
    > the mirror reflections, real smoke, etc. I was dissappointed that it
    > would crash with somer of the old mods, hence TomazQuake 1.48 and
    > GLQuake 1.13 as backups.
    >
    > Try looking here for all those old mods:
    >
    > www.quaketerminus.com/addon.html
    >
    > and here: for Telejano: telejano.berlios.de/wiki3

    Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
    running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
    bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
    that along quite nicely :)
    So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because it's
    fun!
    McG.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
    > running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
    > bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
    > that along quite nicely :)
    > So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because it's
    > fun!
    > McG.
    >

    > How did you go downlaoding Tanebrae? Every time I try, I get about 3/4 of
    the download and then it stops. Someone suggested that it's because of a
    malformed packet being sent from the sourceforge server. Can it be
    downloaded anywhere else? - Stan
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    >> Ah, thought so, have Tenebrae and Telejano installed. Not sure about
    >> running though. When Quake classic crashes now, I've never seen it
    >> bomb so fast! But then, 3 ghz P4 and 2 gigs PC3200 and a 6800GT help
    >> that along quite nicely :)
    >> So why am I running such an old game on a rig like this? Because
    >> it's fun!
    >> McG.
    >>

    >> How did you go downlaoding Tanebrae? Every time I try, I get about
    >> 3/4 of
    > the download and then it stops. Someone suggested that it's because
    > of a malformed packet being sent from the sourceforge server. Can it
    > be downloaded anywhere else? - Stan

    I had it backed up to an archive cd of my games dl's.

    I also just dl'd the latest version from here:
    http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download.txt
    no problems.

    I got the 4.3 meg installer, the mapping tools and the water viss patch.
    Just now. Check it again?

    McG.

Games Windows XP Video Games