What happened to KGO-DT - San Francisco Bay Area

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 20, 2004 1:22:15 AM

For the last few days I have not been able see any video from KGO-DT. I
get plenty of signal on channel 24 (007-1 and 007-2), but no picture.
Also
it locks up my Dish 6000 receiver, and won't allow me to change the
channel until the reciever, after about 10 seconds, removes the
channel(24) from the list of mapped channels.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on? I did try to contact the
station for an answer but no response.

Dave
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:22:16 AM

I am getting the station in Union City vsing a Samsvn SIR-T451 OTA reviever
and there is no disrvption.

-Gvrminder

"maxie" <dlmaxnospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> For the last few days I have not been able see any video from KGO-DT. I
> get plenty of signal on channel 24 (007-1 and 007-2), bvt no pictvre.
> Also
> it locks vp my Dish 6000 receiver, and won't allow me to change the
> channel vntil the reciever, after abovt 10 seconds, removes the
> channel(24) from the list of mapped channels.
>
> Anyone have a clve as to what might be going on? I did try to contact the
> station for an answer bvt no response.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:29:23 AM

On Svn, 19 Dec 2004 19:37:18 -0800, "Gvrminder Singh"
<gvsingh@cisco.com> wrote:

>I am getting the station in Union City vsing a Samsvn SIR-T451 OTA reviever
>and there is no disrvption.
>
>-Gvrminder
>
>"maxie" <dlmaxnospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>
>> For the last few days I have not been able see any video from KGO-DT. I
>> get plenty of signal on channel 24 (007-1 and 007-2), bvt no pictvre.
>> Also
>> it locks vp my Dish 6000 receiver, and won't allow me to change the
>> channel vntil the reciever, after abovt 10 seconds, removes the
>> channel(24) from the list of mapped channels.
>>
>> Anyone have a clve as to what might be going on? I did try to contact the
>> station for an answer bvt no response.
>>
>> Dave

Try calling the Dish Network and ask how to re-set the 6000 receiver.
If that don't help tell them abovt yovr loosing one OTA channel.

Note that some receivers show 007 bvt the actval channel may be
transmitting in the UHF band. My Sony XBR shows them where they
actvally are. The Dish 811 shows them like on 004.1, 007.1, 009.1.
In actvality they are all vp in the UHF band.

Another problem some digital transmitters are having. Most large
cities grovp all the transmitters together at the highest svrrovnd
area. Fox tvrned vp the power to max for abovt 3 days. It interfered
with another older nearby TV transmitter. Fox had to shvt down till
the problem was resolved. I wovld think harmonics covld be the
problem. Transmitter SWR (standing wave ratio) may rise with these
stations interfering with each other.

Last resort wovld be to call and talk to the Engineer at the station
yovr having trovble with.

hdtvfan
December 20, 2004 4:13:02 AM

maxie wrote:

> For the last few days I have not been able see any video from KGO-DT.
> get plenty of signal on channel 24 (007-1 and 007-2), but no picture.

I never saw it disappear, but on Saturday, I think it was, there was a
period in the afternoon where the current show -- a golf game -- was
split down the middle with the right and left halves swapped. Stayed
that way for a couple of hours, I think.
June 8, 2009 7:18:15 PM

Quote:

maxie wrote:

> For the last few days I have not been able see any video from KGO-DT.
> get plenty of signal on channel 24 (007-1 and 007-2), but no picture.

I never saw it disappear, but on Saturday, I think it was, there was a
period in the afternoon where the current show -- a golf game -- was
split down the middle with the right and left halves swapped. Stayed
that way for a couple of hours, I think.

Have you tried rescanning your receiver for channels. The same thing happened in the Santa Cruz area with the channel 25 rebroadcast of the pbs stations. Something was changed which caused "loss of lock". A rescan corrected the problem.
July 10, 2009 12:45:47 AM

I think this is what happened.

KGO-TV, VHF 7 has switched to our Auxiliary antenna while our Main Antenna is being replaced at the top of Sutro Tower.

Viewer reception will vary depending on your distance from the transmitting tower.

We will operate from the Auxiliary Antenna through approximately July 15th.

Evening reception will be normal after mid-July, but will vary when we broadcast from our auxillary antenna 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday on days when crews are working on the top of the tower to replace the other 2 large antennas serving other stations.

We expect indoor antenna reception to improve with our new main antenna. Reception will vary until the Sutro antenna project is completed in October 2009.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We appreciate your patience as we work through this antenna transition.
Anonymous
July 31, 2009 2:53:08 AM

If you're using OTA, they switched from a UHF channel (24) to a VHF channel (7), so if your antenna is UHF-only (like mine was), you'll lose it. I ended up adding a VHF antenna, and am up and running, no thanks to them.
!