joejoefla

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure how this happened but one day when I was in XP Pro ANYTIME I would touch the keyboard it locked up and so did my mouse. Even when I hit the num lock key the LED light wouldn't change. I was originally connected to my PS/2 port I took off the USB to PS/2 adapter and hooked it into one of my USB ports. Rebooted the pc and same thing as before. What I did next is try a different USB keyboard. Still the same thing. I have a dual boot machine so when in Vista this never happens.

Now I decided to do a repair reinstall of XP Pro. I can use the mouse fine and click way, even the keyboard works perfectly fine in BIOS and in the Windows PC environment, but only when at the part where I have to put in the CD Key the keyboard and the mouse locks up, which brings me to a stand still.

I do have a MSI PM8M-V mini-ATX motherboard with both keyboard and mouse connected to the PS/2 ports but I don't think that's the problem since in Vista everything works fine. When in Vista I went inside the Windows XP directory and deleted the .sys keyboard files since figuring I can't even fix the boot process deleting the corrupt drivers might fix it. Well that was to no avail.

Thanks for any help o/ :hello:

joejoefla

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007

I am running on my Vista machine and so far no problems at all. I think what I'll do next is reformat XP after I'm finished backing up all my files. Then if it still locks up I'll test RAM and see what's happening, or I might test the RAM with memtest86 and let it run overnight before reformatting XP. Either case trying to do a repair reinstall of XP failed anyhow. I thought if plugging in a keyboard and the device manager not recognizing it at all was a little strange. :pfff: