Sign in with
Your question

Restrict access to programmes for other users - windows xp home

Last response: in Windows XP
November 6, 2007 1:46:38 PM

Serveral other people access my pc - is there an easy way to restrict their access to programmes installed so they are unable to mess things up. I already have McAfee pc security installed which restricts their access to a certain degree but how can i restrict it further. For example to stop them running particular programmes? The OS is xp home
November 6, 2007 2:30:22 PM

Blue frog said:
Serveral other people access my pc - is there an easy way to restrict their access to programmes installed so they are unable to mess things up. I already have McAfee pc security installed which restricts their access to a certain degree but how can i restrict it further. For example to stop them running particular programmes? The OS is xp home
If its a network then you can choose make folder private, or if you want a secure way then here. Download dropmyrights read instructions really good http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9758770-33.html
this can also be found at msdn libary alternately leave a desktop wiff and aka picture, and a message dont friggen touch or 30 rounds will blast the crap out of ya
November 6, 2007 5:55:14 PM

That isn't really what i meant. I want to disable programmes for other users of my pc. If i could remove all the desktop shortcuts and the programs as listed in "All programs" from the start menu that would be a start as none of the other users now how to find the program applications or use the run command.
Related resources
November 6, 2007 6:51:15 PM

OK you could go to customize start menu and remove the ones you dont want on there. Next you could move all the Icons in a folder and hide the folder. alternate to that is get nettools and there is a file password utility for .exe file, what happens here is it makes a replica of the .exe, so now when a person executes the program they need the password or a password reveler. or you can encrypt the file using windows encrypting do a search in help to guide you through.
November 7, 2007 7:40:46 PM

A lot of programs during install asks if you what to restrict the program to the user installing it or allow all users. You could set up a 2nd user for them. You could also customize your start menu for this second user as gomerpile suggested, which shouldn't affect you as a different user. Obviously, you'd have to set up a log on password for you
February 9, 2008 12:29:20 PM

You can use xp home permissions manager from xphometools.com to do it
!