Restrict access to programmes for other users - windows xp home

Serveral other people access my pc - is there an easy way to restrict their access to programmes installed so they are unable to mess things up. I already have McAfee pc security installed which restricts their access to a certain degree but how can i restrict it further. For example to stop them running particular programmes? The OS is xp home
5 answers Last reply
More about restrict access programmes users windows home
  1. Blue frog said:
    Serveral other people access my pc - is there an easy way to restrict their access to programmes installed so they are unable to mess things up. I already have McAfee pc security installed which restricts their access to a certain degree but how can i restrict it further. For example to stop them running particular programmes? The OS is xp home
    If its a network then you can choose make folder private, or if you want a secure way then here. Download dropmyrights read instructions really good http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9758770-33.html
    this can also be found at msdn libary alternately leave a desktop wiff and aka picture, and a message dont friggen touch or 30 rounds will blast the crap out of ya
  2. That isn't really what i meant. I want to disable programmes for other users of my pc. If i could remove all the desktop shortcuts and the programs as listed in "All programs" from the start menu that would be a start as none of the other users now how to find the program applications or use the run command.
  3. OK you could go to customize start menu and remove the ones you dont want on there. Next you could move all the Icons in a folder and hide the folder. alternate to that is get nettools and there is a file password utility for .exe file, what happens here is it makes a replica of the .exe, so now when a person executes the program they need the password or a password reveler. or you can encrypt the file using windows encrypting do a search in help to guide you through.
  4. A lot of programs during install asks if you what to restrict the program to the user installing it or allow all users. You could set up a 2nd user for them. You could also customize your start menu for this second user as gomerpile suggested, which shouldn't affect you as a different user. Obviously, you'd have to set up a log on password for you
  5. You can use xp home permissions manager from xphometools.com to do it
Ask a new question

Read More

Security McAfee Windows XP