Should I pay 50$ more?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I was pretty happy and looking to buy the G.Skill 6400 CL4 HZ memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

But now ive come across something else..
The OCZ Platnium 7200 CL4. Apperently its also Micron D9 and overclocks very well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820227128

Here is a comparison I made of the maximum OC that each review site has been able to overclock each module.

untitled2mk8.jpg

So it appears that the OCZ can overclock somewhat better, be it because of the superior heatsink or not..

Do u think its worth another 50$?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If I were you I would buy these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

I bought the ones that are currently $113, 5 months ago for $225 and they have worked like a charm ever since they arrived and I can run them @ 2.1v and 950mhz on stock timings though I dont go that high. You can manually set your timings higher like the OCZ's if you want higher clocks, but who knows this may OC very well. I would go with these. Lower timings and 800mhz, with a company that I now trust very much! Just my two cents, hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Unless the reviews are no more than a couple of weeks old, you're unlikely to get modules with *exactly* the same components.

You mean the exact same chips?
If so, then why can the OCZ modules overclock better? Is it simple because of the cooler?

And if they cant, then why do they cost so much more?

Mondoman

Splendid
Unless the reviews are no more than a couple of weeks old, you're unlikely to get modules with *exactly* the same components.

Yes. For one thing, reviewers don't always get sent the currently shipping versions. Secondly, the components that go into the modules frequently change, sometimes weekly, often without a change in the part number. Thus, you can't really compare the reviews with what shows up via UPS.

sailer

Splendid

If so, then why can the OCZ modules overclock better? Is it simple because of the cooler?

And if they cant, then why do they cost so much more?

Yes, they have to be from exactly the same run of modules. Anything different can run either faster or slower. Even then there's no guarentee. Its the same as with CPUs. One will overclock better then the next without any apparent reason. OCZ does have a good cooler, in my opinion, and that might make the difference in cost.

By the way, just because a ram module has Micron chips doesn't necessarily mean it will be better. The last Corsair ram that I bought had Micron ships and it still didn't overclock all that well. Don't know where the fault lies, but I replaced it with OCZ platinum and that has done well.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
How about
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=350

No, the modules i proposed are only 125$ and they are better this these.

...and how many people actually need something past 1000Mhz? :roll:

Anyone buying DDR2-800 CL4 memory.. if they didnt want to overclock past 1000Mhz, they would buy DDR2-800 CL5 memory.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Yes. For one thing, reviewers don't always get sent the currently shipping versions. Secondly, the components that go into the modules frequently change, sometimes weekly, often without a change in the part number. Thus, you can't really compare the reviews with what shows up via UPS.

Its not the version, its what happens inside the factory.

The manufacturer tests each chip - the ones that clock higher are used for more expensive memory and the ones that dont are used for less expensive memory. So even though a module uses Micron D9 chips, it could overclock poorly (compared to other Micron D9 modules).

So even if the G.Skill and the OCZ both use Micron D9 chips, the OCZ chips could be better because they are handpicked.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, well then the ones that I bought for $225 that are now $113 are micron D9's and they run great, but im not sure what timmings you would need for 1000mhz, im sure 5-5-5-12 @ 2.2v would do it easily!

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I bought CL4 DDR2 800mhz and I dont intend one 1000mhz nor have I ever. I tested them up to 950mhz, but I run them as you can see at stock speed on my 1:1 multi.

Best,

3Ball

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Ok, well then the ones that I bought for $225 that are now $113 are micron D9's and they run great, but im not sure what timmings you would need for 1000mhz, im sure 5-5-5-12 @ 2.2v would do it easily!

Best,

3Ball

No, they arent Micron D9, they are PROMOS.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well I read a review for them before I bought them. The review was a comparison between multiple memory units based off of Micron D9 chips, and that is why I bought these. Micron D9 or not...they work perfect! (I might like these so much because this is the first set of memory that I have received and it worked right out of the box with no problems over the past 8 years of building computers!) Oh, and since nothing I have said appeals to you and since you seem to know more than me I will just give my opinion over your 2 choices and tell you to save your $ and get the cheaper G. Skill, I honestly believe the performance will atleast be similar to the more expensive models when you are reaching your goal of 1ghz+ with your memory!

Best,

3Ball