Strength of OTA HD signal?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 19, 2004 8:44:05 PM

I live in a valley about 60 miles from the nearest city that broadcasts
HD content. I can't pickup SD OTA broadcasts where I'm at...it's very
fuzzy, at best. Is it even more unlikely that I'll be able to tune in
HD OTA? Or is HD OTA perhaps a stronger signal?

More about : strength ota signal

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 2:13:56 AM

With the info you provied all I can say is "maybe".

First, is it 60 driving miles, or 60 straight-line miles on a map?

At a great distance you must implement size (A BIG antenna), height, and
an amp.
What market is near you??? What city? I can find out the general
quality and power of that market for you.

Also a local RadioShack or an antenna installer may offer info. Check
your yellow pages. Be wary of satellite installers. The usually install
the cheapie antennas that fail and then claim you have NO signal to
receive.

Harry
Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:43:04 AM

shamrock2020@webtv.net (Harry Dugan) wrote in news:28942-41C65184-38
@storefull-3273.bay.webtv.net:

> With the info you provied all I can say is "maybe".
>
> First, is it 60 driving miles, or 60 straight-line miles on a map?
>
> At a great distance you must implement size (A BIG antenna), height, and
> an amp.
> What market is near you??? What city? I can find out the general
> quality and power of that market for you.
>
> Also a local RadioShack or an antenna installer may offer info. Check
> your yellow pages. Be wary of satellite installers. The usually install
> the cheapie antennas that fail and then claim you have NO signal to
> receive.
>
> Harry
> Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com

or go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx and chose antenna.
Related resources
December 20, 2004 11:48:39 AM

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I live in a valley about 60 miles from the nearest city that broadcasts
> HD content. I can't pickup SD OTA broadcasts where I'm at...it's very
> fuzzy, at best. Is it even more unlikely that I'll be able to tune in
> HD OTA? Or is HD OTA perhaps a stronger signal?

In my situation I can get the analog OTA signal when I can't get the digital
signal. This is only the case on one difficult digital signal. On all the
other OTA signals both the analog and digital signals are fine. It's a
sample of one and may not be accurate in all cases.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:13:03 PM

Antennaweb.org is not totally accurate for everyone. It does not take
into account markets in which broadcasters put out low power signal.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:21:00 PM

Guy wrote:

> I live in a valley about 60 miles from the nearest city that broadcasts
> HD content. I can't pickup SD OTA broadcasts where I'm at...it's very
> fuzzy, at best. Is it even more unlikely that I'll be able to tune in
> HD OTA? Or is HD OTA perhaps a stronger signal?

Try this HDTV Web site to see what your Zip Code neighbors are
doing...

Their replies are all over the Map in terms of Quality responses...

http://www.hdtvpub.com and Enter your 5 Digit Zip Code....

also try http://www.antennaweb.org & enter your 5 or 9 Digit
Zip....

Hit the Digital Channel option to see IF Chans are

UHF (smaller antenna) or VHF (larger Antenna)
Chans 14 thru 59 Chans 2 thru 13..

A cheap real test is a UHF ChannelMaster 3021 ($25) 4 bay bow tie
antenna,
Some RG-6 antenna Cable, & $200 Walmart Digital tuner
set to S-Video out.... run into an Analog TV...
December 22, 2004 4:19:05 PM

When I go to http://www.hdtvpub.com, enter my zipcode, and press the
Find DTV! button, I get the following error: "Sorry, Posting to this
site is only allowed from within our web servers!" Yet I don't see any
sign-up feature. What am I missing?
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:06:19 PM

Guy wrote:

> When I go to http://www.hdtvpub.com, enter my zipcode, and press the
> Find DTV! button, I get the following error: "Sorry, Posting to this
> site is only allowed from within our web servers!" Yet I don't see any
> sign-up feature. What am I missing?

The above site works well with my Internet Explorer Ver 6.0.2800.1106
I believe there is no sign reqd..........

The above site bombs with my Netscape 4.79....

Both Web browsers do work with:

http://www.hdtvpub.com/info/hdtvguides.cfm/cat_dtvguide...

and enter a (your) 5 digit ZIP code in upper RH corner..
December 23, 2004 2:51:38 PM

I'm using Internet Explorer Ver 6.0.2800.1106. Still getting "Sorry,
Posting to this site is only allowed from within our web servers!" when
I press the Find DTV! button, even with
http://www.hdtvpub.com/info/hdtvguides.cfm/cat_dtvguide.... Seeing this
on two different PCs. Weird.
!