Windows xp64 - quad core supported?

Nate Owens

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm building a quad core (intel) system and want to use 64 bit os, but not vista... can windows xp 64 pro do the job?
I saw no category for windows xp 64... ??

shiva d

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
do u think there's some sorta 'catagory' for Vista 64-bit? NOT

go w/ the pro, Win XP pro 64-bit, it was designed for dual Core's and that's all that's out there now. BTW watch for the sp3! (service pak 3).

(1) Use XP 64 if you like, but know that it's LESS supported than Vista 64. Not more. And whether we like it or not, Vista *is* the OS that Microsoft is going forward with. So this situation will only stagnate for 64 bit XP, not improve.

(2) "Quad Core" processor has little effect one way or the other because your APPLICATIONS still have to be written to use multiple cores. Just because you're using an OS that's aware of 4 cores - (XP 32/64 and greater) - doesn't magically change this. The game that only knows how to run on 1 core will still *only* run on one core. Since very few consumer applications are multi-core "aware", the advantage is that different apps can be run on different cores. So your game can have a processing core all to itself, while other tasks run elsewhere.

Therefore (3) What exactly do you need this to do? WHY do you need a 64 bit OS?? Are you looking to Game, want 4GB+ of RAM, and therefore want a 64 bits??? If so, I'd recommend you do some research on how well games run on XP64 before spending your cash.

Oh yeah.... (4) Why are you asking this in the Vista forum?

Nate Owens

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Good enuff, scotteq and shiva d... thanks

The major question you have answered for me is that the OS - XP64 - is aware of the multi-core.

As to your other good points....
Where would I post an XP64 message...?
My first time on this forum and I could find no XP64 thread..??

Why XP64?: My research from many sources is that XP64 is for now less resource hungry and most are avoiding it or moving back to XP64 until Vista levels off... I consider this temporary.

I do not do gaming, and I know that some of my apps will use multi-core and some don't. I am an illustrator and use some heavy 3D apps (ZBrush is one) that can employ the extra cores and ram available. (some 3d and 2d at my http://www.nateowens.com web site)

TRENDING THREADS