Gtx 275 parallel computing on linux

G

i am barely linux literate. i purchased a new system and want to put a unix system on it (ubuntu?). i purchased nvidia gtx 275 with the unresearched notion that i could use cuda to parallelize code for scientific computing. does anyone know: 1) if there is a driver for gtx for ubuntu and 2) if the 275 and cuda is worthwhile for scientific computing.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
i am barely linux literate. i purchased a new system and want to put a unix system on it (ubuntu?). i purchased nvidia gtx 275 with the unresearched notion that i could use cuda to parallelize code for scientific computing. does anyone know: 1) if there is a driver for gtx for ubuntu and 2) if the 275 and cuda is worthwhile for scientific computing.

the proprietary driver that ubuntu might offer to install after your first login might not work but the latest driver from the nvidia website should work (include betas in your seach). and yes, there are cuda drivers for jaunty.

is cuda worthwhile? for double precision i'm not so impressed (but have no experience on high-end cards). if all you need is single precision, it's worthwhile.