Sweetie718

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Whenever I startup my laptop, the "C:\Program Files\Dell" folder opens automatically. I've had this pc for years but this started happening only recently. I don't know what could've changed, but it is very annoying and I need to find a way to make it stop. I've been searching various sites all over the net, and so far I have tried messing with "msconfig" and "Regedit.exe," among other things, and the problem still exists. Please contact me if anyone knows how to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance.

enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
What exactly did you try in Regedit?

I did a quick search and came up with this...

Run regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

Under that folder you should have a few entries with Dell somewhere in them, either under the Name or Data column.
In the Data column, if the entry doesn't have quotations around the file path, it might cause the problem. ie.

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

instead of:

"C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe"

The correct way being be the second one. So you'd have to go through and edit EACH entry that has Dell in it somewhere, to include quotations around the path.

Don't know if you already tried that though...

riser

Illustrious
Gah.

Go to: Start - Run - type MSCONFIG

Go to Start Up and look for the entry in there. You could also look under Start - All Programs - Start Up and see if the link is there.

genwar

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
After fiddling around with this nuisance for several weeks, trying the msconfig and start menu suggestions, etc. without success, I opened Windows Explorer on C:\Program Files\Dell\, then went into regedit and searched on "Program Files/Dell/", and then deleted everything it came up with that referenced a folder or file that didn't actually exist.
That finally solved the problem.