Just received my Vista64 and looking for some tips before install

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,
Well, I decided to make the jump to Vista 64 and received the disk last night. I'm going to install it tomorrow evening but just want some helpful tips. I've read most of the posts in this forum, so I guess this would be a summary.
I have:
EVGA 680i mobo
Intel E600 Dual Core
EVGA 8800 GTX
2GB Super Talent Ram PC6400
2 36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0
1 300GB WD HD SATA

I downloaded all the 64 bit drivers for my mobo, soundcard, video card, as well as some applications for vista like itunes, etc. I didn't see a RAID driver for VISTA64, do I just use the same floppy that came with the original mobo or should I try the nVidia website for these drivers? FYI, I got the mobo drivers off of evga.com? My last question is, although I'm not having a lot of problems with my mobo, I don't see a lot of people with it and many people had problems. I don't notice any performance issues so I don't want to upgrade unnecissarily, but I was thinking of getting a new mobo, maybe a high-end asus board? I know this is probably the wrong forum for the mobo discussion, so sorry, I wanted to lump them together.

The floppy shoud be fine, no OS is installed when you use it. Hopefully the mobo drivers you downloaded work without issues. I used the MB CD to install drivers when I set up my system. Those are tested thoroughly and packaged with the MB. I installed updated drivers later. Let us know how it goes.

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I haven't finished yet but I did install it and installed the mobo drivers I downloaded. So far, no problems. The install didn't ask me for a RAID floppy. I've been busy but will most likely get to it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know about how all the rest goes with regards to drivers and all my software. One thing I found out is that Zone Alarm doesn't work with Vista and never will.. or so they say.

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ok, just installed kaspersky and restarted. Everything worked for a while. Then I installed the 4 GB RAM fix file (which I downloaded on another computer) and restared. It was still fine. Then I installed spywareblaster and when I restared it's unresponsive to the mouse. the keyboard works fine, but the mouse response is EXTREMELY SLOW, as in it barely moves when I move the mouse. I know Vista is caching the HDD's, but this is ridiculous. I also installed adobe acrobat 8 but then uninstalled it because I wanted to install version 6. How the hell do I uninstall software?? There is no "remove programs" icon in the control panel. Also, my internet connection doesn't want to work, it says it's connected, but when I open firefox, i get an error. I don't understand. I tried to type ipconfig /release and /renew but I guess that command doesn't work in Vista because I got an error message. Is there someway I can do this in Vista. Thanks I don't want to be a pessimist, but I am really tempted to reinstall XP at this point.
Thanks

I have been running Vista 64 in my sig for a couple of months now with 8 gbs RAM and absolutely not one issue. I have not installed Kapersky. I have not installed any 4 GB RAM fix file. I have not installed spyblaster. I have installed adobe reader. I also installed a 64 bit software located on the product website for for my mouse and keyboard. In addition, I found VISTA 64 bit system drivers located on my MB product website helped immemsly.

Right click on the bottom-most tool bar of the desktop, the main desktop toolbar. Select properties. Select Start menu. Select 'Classic View". Now your desktop 'start' menu should look just the same as XP.

To remove a program. Select 'Settings' then 'Control panel' from Start menu (you might want to place the CP on the desktop). Select 'programs and features' to add/remove a program. I don't know...maybe you should read a VISTA tutorial before you start criticizing the OS like you are and one you you know nothing about. I feel like a Boy Scout.

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I don't think the problems I'm having have to do with my hardware. I'm talking about the microsoft hotfix for not recognizing 4GB of RAM. I have an EVGA 680i mobo, 8800GTX video card, Intel E6600 CpU and 750 PSU. I installed all the chipset and video card drivers I downloaded off the manufacturer's site. The thing I don't get it was that it was working and then the mouse just stopped responding at the next reboot. I probably should have read a tutorial, but I wanted to try it out ASAP. I'm not bashing it as others, I'm just venting because of my frustration.

G

I'm surprised you cared and installed Spywareblaster so early on in getting your setup - setup.
I would get everything working first - then concentrate on your main apps and then once everything is ok - then add other smaller - not so urgent apps like spywareblaster. Just my 2 cents. Did you run spywareblaster? Is it an up to date version for Vista? (I don't use spywareblaster) Did you blast something that shouldn't have been blasted (if it was run)?

First things first..
(OS, antivirus, network driver, update antivirus, main apps and peripheral drivers, then small tools like whatever blaster..)

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Are your mobo chipset drivers installed? I had to get them from Intel cause my cd didnt work with vista 64. Why would you install spyware blaster if you have Kaspersky internet security? Your probably gonna have some kind of conflict there. Cant help you with the keyboard issue, sorry. Have you tried another usb port?

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006

Its highly recommended you get a internet security/anti-virus installed before installing any drivers from the internet or even connecting to the internet. So you could hardly get everything working correctly first.

G

I meant everything important working first - see the order of the last 3 lines of my post you quoted.

(I also use security suites - not just antivirus alone)