Sign in with
Your question

Accessing Vista/Windows 7 files from Ubuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 12, 2009 9:03:35 AM

I've installed Ubuntu (Jaunty) on my laptop, and in the same house there are 2 windows 7 computers, a windows vista computer, and a windows XP computer. Every computer has it's media files shared, and I use my laptop from streaming movies off the desktops in the house. However, both the Windows 7 computers and the Vista computer require an account, domain, and password when I try to connect. This is odd, seeing as how there isn't a computer in the house that's password protected, therefore I can't imagine what I would put in the password field. Nothing seems to work. Any solutions?

P.S.: I'm a college student renting out a house with buddies, not all 5 computers are mine. Thought that might raise some eyebrows.
September 12, 2009 6:58:37 PM

I have a similar setup; I have my Ubuntu rig, my Vista rig, and then my mom's and the 'family' computer run XP. What I ended up doing was installing Samba on my Ubuntu rig, allowing me to start a file sharing 'server' that lets me transfer files.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236638-50-linux-insta...

Read that thread a bit, it should explain a few things :) 
m
l
October 3, 2009 2:57:56 PM

killerzuchini said:
I've installed Ubuntu (Jaunty) on my laptop, and in the same house there are 2 windows 7 computers, a windows vista computer, and a windows XP computer. Every computer has it's media files shared, and I use my laptop from streaming movies off the desktops in the house. However, both the Windows 7 computers and the Vista computer require an account, domain, and password when I try to connect. This is odd, seeing as how there isn't a computer in the house that's password protected, therefore I can't imagine what I would put in the password field. Nothing seems to work. Any solutions?

P.S.: I'm a college student renting out a house with buddies, not all 5 computers are mine. Thought that might raise some eyebrows.

This is a somewhat older post so you might already have a solution. You can do as the other user mentioned, set up Samba. You could also set a common password for those Windows boxes (just make sure everyone knows it). When it asks for account use the user that is logged in on the PC, the domain would probably be something like 'Workgroup', and the password will be whatever you set it to. Given that these computers belong to different people you'll probably not end up doing this, but just a thought.
m
l
!