Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Logon failure the target account is incorrect

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 26, 2010 1:20:31 PM

I *think* that I understand the topic of not being able to connect via UNC pathing -- like \\servername...but I cannot figure out how to correct it! Any help? TIA
August 26, 2010 2:44:51 PM

ChuckMurphy said:
I *think* that I understand the topic of not being able to connect via UNC pathing -- like \\servername...but I cannot figure out how to correct it! Any help? TIA


To be more clear, I cannot get to \\servername, but I CAN access the box via IP address -- \\10.10.10.10 (random IP address inserted). Other systems are accessible, but certain ones are not.
Score
0
August 27, 2010 6:00:18 PM

Need a bit more info here, where are you connecting from and to what? Are all of the computers in question on the same network and subnet? Can you ping the servers by name or only by IP? How is your network setup?

If you can ping by IP but not by name, you may have a WINS or DNS issue. Check with whoever runs your network, you need to check your name resolution.
Score
0
Related resources
August 30, 2010 12:24:35 PM

Sorry 9,

I should have been more clear. Connecting from a domain to a DMZ behind a Cisco firewall. I can reach the system from a Remote Desktop, but only if I use the IP address; those outside of our domain (the outside world) can reach the system and its content with no problem; I simply cannot. I have exhausted myself checking DNS tables, etc., but to no avail. Can't reach the machine by its name anymore...another funny tweak to this is that there is one system INside the domain that acts precisely the same -- can get to it via IP address, but not by UNC path.

The hard part is, everyone says 'check with whoeever runs your network;...but that's me. I took over when the last guy left, but this is outside my ken.

Any ideas? Thanks for the reply!
Score
0

Best solution

September 1, 2010 3:44:14 AM

Have you checked the firewall logs? You could be missing a setting to allow certain traffic through from specific areas. Meaning you can connect to the computer from a certain address range, but not from others.

Still not too clear where you are connecting from and to what. Are the remote computers you are connecting to on the same domain? Are they at another site?
Share
September 1, 2010 4:06:18 PM

Connecting from the same domain -- but through the firewall to get to the DMZ. The screwy thing is that those outside our domain can get in, but not form inside. I checked the rules on the firewall, and traffic is allowed from anywhere within our domain. It simply doesn't go through.
We though it might be a DNS issue, but that doesn't pan out. Everything inside the domain works correctly -- AND -- I can get to the DMZ server IF I use the server's address...but not by using the server name, nor the website address. I checked the website, and the traffic is allowed from our firewall (which is a bit obvious, since customers can get there), and from systems inside the domain.
This one just has me over a barrel.
Score
0
September 13, 2010 3:31:04 PM

Okay - So they're asking me whether I solved this (well, sort of..), and to pick the best answer. Here's what I ended up doing:
I created a new zone on the DNS server(s) that is actually a subset of the existing zone, and included and A record for each site page. That worked, but I'm not satisfied that it's the best course of action -- we never needed this until now.
The only thing that I could come up with is that somehow, there is no longer resolution through the firewall to the web site itself (I can remote desktop onto the system using system name or IP address).
Any feedback, or ideas about this are all appreciated. I also appreciate the responses and questions from hang-the-9!
Score
0
September 13, 2010 3:55:38 PM

Have any patches been run on the server or other PCs that connect to it since the issue came up? Not all MS patches are without issues. Heck, I found an update for Windows Media player from years ago that somehow broke a java button that was created for scanning. No clue how WMP would break that, but there is was.
Score
0
September 13, 2010 4:08:30 PM

No patch issue that I can come up with since this issue started... there are only two things, in my mind, that could make the difference:
The server was moved (before this issue, but only about 5-6 weeks before) to a VM. 1. Everything was fine until the update to the service required IP address changes. I simply replaced old addresses with new ones and *poof*! Problem arises.
2. I think that, in the changing of the firewall settings, that the authentication may have been changed (I was using the Cisco PMD interface, rather than command line...). It now uses a translation type that I am not sure was in effect before.
Thanks for the response, 9!
Score
0
September 20, 2010 2:07:16 PM

Best answer selected by ChuckMurphy.
Score
0
September 22, 2010 5:18:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!