Watercooling via swimming pool.

Spork40

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Not sure if anyone has seen this or not, pretty interesting idea.

Link

Never have to worry about a radiator... although I'm sure overtime it may lead to the waterblocks breaking down due to the pool chemicals.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Sounds like a unique idea, but I too am afraid of the interaction between the blocks and the chemicals in the water. Like Chlorine, Bromine, Muriatic Acid, and possibly Soda Ash. Of those the ones that coupld cause the most damage are the Chlorine, and the Muriatic Acid. Those chemicals probably caused the damage to the aluminum tops of his water blocks. Along with other possibilities like increased galvanic corrosion, or algea growth anywhere in his loop. Especially since the pool is open to the elements.

I myself would have used a heat exchanger and 2 separate loops. 1 for the systems and one from the pool. That would have allowed for cooling while not worrying about what kind of damage is being done to your water blocks by the pool water. And you still get 95% of the heat dumped directly into the pool. Hmmm.... Too bad I don't own a home or have a pool..... I would probably be willing to give that a shot. Since in the winter it would bring the temps of my cpu well below ambient air temps around here, but still above freezing.

-ouch1

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
heres another concern.
You want to be using DI water (deionized) as it is non conductive and you may not fry your system or yourself in the event of a major spill. Pool water is conductive and would be a major safety hazard.
Sounds fun though......

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Nice idea but I like mobility. That's the reason I don't have watercooling yet. There isn't enough room in my case and I don't fancy carrying around the radiator to the lanparties as well. Quite happy with my big typhoon.

You guys just keep the ideas comin. Maybe some day there'll be one that'll hook me and make me do something crazy.