error deleting file cannot find specified path

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilmike1

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
problem: for some reason my 2nd drive isn't allowing me to delete any files from it. when i try i get an error that reads "error deleting file cannot find specified path". this started occurring when the wires on the drive came loose causing the drive to intermittently lose power. i fixed that and now i'm screwed.

what i've done: i tried deleting from safe mode and that didn't work. i checked all the wires on my drives and they are fine now. i got a program called "moveonboot" that deleted a few files, but i want to fix the problem, not find a way around it.

can anyone help me out?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Have you run the chkdsk to fix file system errors? I had that problem with a couple of files I couldn't delete before, and it was due to some kind of disk corruption... running the error checker fixed the corruption and I could delete the files.

evilmike1

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

I actually ran it twice (once a little while after it happened and once again today). The first time I ran it for some reason it deleted two folders (one had mp3s and the other had installers) and I still couldn't delete anything.

After this last time nothings changed. The thing is if I go to the Recycle Bin > Properties > Global and check the "do not move files to Recycle Bin" box it allows me to delete stuff, but then again once it's gone, it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.