Sign in with
Your question

error deleting file cannot find specified path

Last response: in Windows XP
November 15, 2007 11:31:27 PM

problem: for some reason my 2nd drive isn't allowing me to delete any files from it. when i try i get an error that reads "error deleting file cannot find specified path". this started occurring when the wires on the drive came loose causing the drive to intermittently lose power. i fixed that and now i'm screwed.

what i've done: i tried deleting from safe mode and that didn't work. i checked all the wires on my drives and they are fine now. i got a program called "moveonboot" that deleted a few files, but i want to fix the problem, not find a way around it.

can anyone help me out?
November 16, 2007 10:09:13 PM

Are these program files or data files?
November 17, 2007 2:52:10 AM

Have you run the chkdsk to fix file system errors? I had that problem with a couple of files I couldn't delete before, and it was due to some kind of disk corruption... running the error checker fixed the corruption and I could delete the files.
Related resources
November 20, 2007 1:10:22 AM

g-paw said:
Are these program files or data files?

Both
November 20, 2007 1:16:17 AM

MarkG said:
Have you run the chkdsk to fix file system errors? I had that problem with a couple of files I couldn't delete before, and it was due to some kind of disk corruption... running the error checker fixed the corruption and I could delete the files.

I actually ran it twice (once a little while after it happened and once again today). The first time I ran it for some reason it deleted two folders (one had mp3s and the other had installers) and I still couldn't delete anything.

After this last time nothings changed. The thing is if I go to the Recycle Bin > Properties > Global and check the "do not move files to Recycle Bin" box it allows me to delete stuff, but then again once it's gone, it's gone.
February 3, 2013 2:59:47 AM

Hi, this error had been resolved by "Long Path Tool". Try to download this. Hope this one helps
!