Video no sound, music cd sound OK!

I can play an DVD movie and the video works fine but I have no audio. I can play an music cd and the sound works fine. I tries it in media player and nero. Media player is a pain half the time it won't play an movie because of some rights problem. The movies are legal out of the store. I use to run a audio cable from the cd and dvd's to the motherboard in the old days, but haven't in a while because the audio would work either way. This is new MSI board with on board audio and works fine with music cd's but no audio on video's. Anyone have a clue.

That was my post with the problem. I did get sound to work with movies but only after installing WinDVD7. I noticed that it installed a DVD Audio driver. Why don't the other programs have that like Media player, nero, realplayer. I thought that a fresh install and update of XP would have all the drivers for DVD especially as long as we have been using them?
6 answers Last reply
More about video sound music sound
  1. If you can get audio from your DVDs, then it's not likely a driver problem because this audio goes through you audio card. Check Devise Manager and back sure there are no yellow ! marks. Check your audio software settings. On old Audigy card I had the default setting was Digital and the audio would only work if I change it to analogue
  2. I can sound only from mp3's or an regular audio cd. This only happens when I insert a movie and windows media player says " WMP cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with the digital copy protection between your dvd, decoder, and video card.

I have update the video card drivers, and update the media player to version 11.
    Now when you try to play move with nero I get video and no sound. when I installed Windvd 7 it installed a DVD audio driver and after that all three programs started playing movies with the sound.
  3. Why don't you try playing the movie using VLC? A free video player and will play almost everything. I other than Windows and Office, I avoid Microsoft software
    http://www.download-zone-free.com/vlcplayer/?OVRAW=Vlc%20media%20player&OVKEY=vlc%20media%20player&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=1567068522&OVKWID=13322542522
  4. Thanks, VLC does work, But doesn't solve the problem with media player that should work . We pay allot of money for a OS and I think the bundled products that Microsoft put in should work with out all the hassles. Thanks
  5. I'm finding out that any program that plays movies like, WinDVD, and Power dvd installed on your system will let Media player share the converters. I had a copy of power dvd that came with the dvd player and that installed on my system let media player share the converter.
  6. BruceMyers48 said:
    Thanks, VLC does work, But doesn't solve the problem with media player that should work . We pay allot of money for a OS and I think the bundled products that Microsoft put in should work with out all the hassles. Thanks

Agree the programs should work but fortunately there are a lot of alternatives. I figure if Microsoft or any other company is stupid and/or arrogant enough to want to alienate their customers, they're not getting my money. Glad VLC worked for you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Video Audio Music CD-Rom Movies Windows XP