Problems Installing Ubuntu 9.04 On Virtual Machine 2007

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, I've tried selecting full install, or just booting from the ISO. But it "hangs" at the following screen. It happens straight after you select how you want it to be installed. Any adivce?

Virtual System is set to: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz - 1GB Ram - 20GB HDD.

2whdp2x.jpg

linux_0

Splendid
Give Sun's virtualbox a try http://www.virtualbox.org/ it usually works great!

VMware is good too http://www.vmware.com/

Microsoft VirtualPC is not Linux friendly and Linux is not supported. Sun's virtualbox and VMware just run a lot better.

Good luck :)

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Strange thing is, my friends running it via VPC-07 and didn't have a problem. I am suspecting the ISO is a currupted one when downloading it. May need to redownload it.

linux_0

Splendid
Did you run a disk integrity, media check?

That is built-into most Linux disks. If the media check works but VPC still fails something else is wrong.

virtualbox and VMware are still a lot better than VPC.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, thanks for the help. I just installed Ubuntu via VB... The problem is, it stays at windowed level even though I've set it to Full Screen. The background goes black, but the whole OS stays centered in the middle, around half the size.

How can I fix this?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I'm also having a problem with the video card drivers. It's a 7300SE/7200GS I downloaded the drivers but I keep getting some sort of an error message when I click on it to install.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, thanks for the reply. Will this also fix the whole windowed look? If I install the driver, will it full screen the OS? Even in fullscreen mode it shows it at windows level.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hmm, I've just noticed somthing. Anything I click on that has .exe will error out.

It will start to open in "Archive Reader" and when it loads it says "An error accured while loading archive" followed by a bunch of error text.

Bad installation of the OS perhaps?

sub mesa

Distinguished
You need to install the guest additions before things like video and windowing work like it should. Did you run the integrity check when booting from the Ubuntu installation cd? You should do this without Virtualbox.

Clicking on an .exe file in Linux will not run a program (normally). This is an extension used by Windows programs. Linux programs can have (pretty nearly) any name that you wish - the file attributes determine whether it is an executable program or not. (That's a bit of a simplification, but good enough.)

It appears that your system is treating .exe files as some sort of compressed archive (understandable, as archives are often stored as self-extracting .exe files).

linux_0

Splendid
Linux doesn't use .exe files and windows drivers do not work on Linux with the exception of network drivers via NDISwrapper.

Linux also includes 99% of the drivers you will ever need in the kernel so you don't have to go searching for drivers, except for proprietary VGA drivers and sometimes 802.11a, b, g, n wireless drivers.

The instructions amdfangirl linked to will let you install the accelerated drivers for the virtual VGA card that VirtualBox provides.

The VirtualBox VGA supports 3D acceleration and up to 128MB of VRAM, go to Display properties set the slider to 128MB VGA RAM and check the box to enable 3D.

You will not be using nvidia drivers at all under VirtualBox.

If you do a native install on your hard drive outside of VirtualBox then you can install the proprietary nvidia drivers. A native install will provide better performance and direct access to your hardware. That's called dual booting.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Hmm, Linux_0, the latest edition of virtual box, version 3 adds support for SMP and there has been a significant boost towards VM performance, that the difference between VM and native install is fading rapidly (except graphics has a far way to go).

Version 3 adds Open GL 2 support and Direct 3D 9 support on top of Virtual Box's already impressive virtual graphics.

sub mesa

Distinguished
How hard can this be? Install virtualbox, install the OS in a new VM. Once booted click Install Guest Additions. It will insert a cd in the virtual cd drive with the Guest Additions software. Once you installed that, you have seamless windows.

If you want the VM to be fullscreen, select so and it will go full screen. This the info you wanted?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Indeed, but we got no feedback on the cd check, don't know if he installed the Guest Additions at this point, and don't know if he could find the fullscreen button to click on.

Seriously Virtualbox is so simple you shouldn't be able to screw this up too bad. When you click install guest additions it will pop-up the virtual cd with the software, and ubuntu even includes an "Install software on this cd" button if i recall correctly. So that would mean installing the Guest Additions would only take two mouse clicks.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Jesus no. I select full screen yet it still apears in the windowed size. OK, maybe the background goes black but its not full full screen. The OS is planted in the middle the same size as the windowed frame.

I'll take a screen so you guys can see better. But no worries, I'm getting a new hard drive in a few days (500GB) So I'm going to install all 3 OS's on it. (XP, 7, Ubuntu.) I can't be botherd with VM or VP07.