fatty35

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Hay I recently got windows home server and i was wondering why it had both server 2003 & Home server on one dvd.

Thankx

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

WHS is simply a Windows 2003 Small Business Server specialized application. You can install anything on WHS that you can install on SBS (it just might not integrate fully into the WHS Console unless if someone has written a WHS applet for it). The next version is slated to ride on Windows 2008 Server with the upgraded IIS. I installed the free MS Sharepoint Services and use it for file/media sharing, auto client backups and a collaboration tool.

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I am thinking about setting up a WHS too, since I have some spare hard drives and an old system, and, this might be a newbie question but, would WHS work with 64-bit OSes like XP-64, Vista-64, or Win7-64?

I don't want to get WHS v2 which is 64-bit only, because I have 2 computers that have XP-32bit and I want to set up a low-level server for those. I was hoping that, whenever I get a 64-bit OS system, that I'd still be able to use a 32-bit WHS...

There was an update for the original WHS that included support for 64 bit clients.

Are you sure the next version will support 64 bit clients only? I find it hard to believe that a server will only support 64 bit clients in a any near future, there is and will be too much 32 bit out there for years to come.

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I have been seeing, on Technet the past 6 months or so, that 75% of what MS is putting up there has been 64bit only. While that is only server side applications and doesn't affect clients directly, it is certainly a step in that direction.

Yes, but WHS has to support all sorts of clients or else it has no purpose. The program itself may well come out as 64 bit only but no way in any near future all clients will be 64 bit, as the OP suggested, even Windows 7 will be issued in 32 and 64. Any useful WHS must support 32 bit clients for at least probably 5 years or more.

I'm a huge fan of 64 myself, been using Vista 64 and loving it.

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I have only had a few hours on Vista 64 myself before the m/b in my new system died. I have a few posts under the New Builds section above explaining my issues. I can't wait until I can get to it full time. Right now I am using Vista 32 and having no issues at all and loving it.