Cannot Boot Ubuntu 9.04 - Stuck in Memtest or Grub

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I recently got sick of windows and a BSOD pushed me over the edge. Some memory failure or something and I couldn't start windows except in safe mode. I was just planning on going to Ubuntu anyhow. So I booted it from an 8gb USB using UNetBootin and installed it. Got it running, things were going well, except internet. I was trying to figure out drivers or whatever, and ended up updated computer with one of the network things and when I tried running it on reboot goes to the memtest, which I let run, but when it finishes my only option is to restart and it does it again. I scoured the net, but no avail.

I can get to an options-like page, but my only opton is Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+

I go to edit and it has
Code:
uuid blahblahblahbunchofnumbers
kernel /boot/memtest86+bin
quiet

When I go to command line and type kernel /boot/ <tab>, it just shows memtest86.bin and grub.

As you can see I am not amazing with linux/computers, but I am semi-intelligent when it comes to this stuff. To make matters worst I just formatted the entire HD when I installed (I'm SO done with Windows), but now I wish I had it at least to re-install Ubuntu. If anyone knows how to get back to Ubuntu and how to keep it that way, or knows how to totally reinstall the whole thing please let me know. I gotta fix this quick too =( Wish I could offer more info, and I appreciate any help.

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
One more thing, I used root (hd0,0) and in the kernel /boot/ there is grub or memtest86+bin, I use

Code:
cat /boot/grub/mem.ls

and the only thing listed beyond the comment/options is the Ubuntu 9.04 with the text I quoted in my first post. Does it even register an install of Unbuntu? I am just so lost. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I can get into this thing called BusyBox (Ash) a basic shell. It says ALERT modules do not exist! then it takes me there when I try booting from the USB. Alright... this is all I got for now... *sigh*

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
There's lots of stuff listed but the only 'kernel' listed is the memtest :( I had wiped computer and just installed it so I might as well just reinstall. How do I do that with unetbootin and necessary info on USB from grub?

There's a menu.lst and menu.lst~. Is that the back up? How would I find and use a backup? Typing on my iPhone and I'm no txt champ so forgive me in advance for minor typos and short messages.

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Okay I think I found the right info in the menu.lst~ but I don't know how to get to it and I can't use the .lst~ and I don't know how to edit the .lst to add the info. I try loading the kernel but I get error 15 file not found. Not sure what to so now.

linux_0

Splendid
Try this

Code:
cp menu.lst menu.lst.a

cp menu.lst~ menu.lst

ls -la /boot

You should have at least two vmlinu* files under /boot, those are the kernels, if you don't then your install is probably broken and you should probably re-install.

Before you install, you should run a disk check to make sure your disk isn't corrupt. If you disk is corrupt you will have strange problems.

It's also a great idea to check the ISO checksums and signatures to ensure you have a good ISO.

Each distribution usually has instructions on how to check the sums.

There are some bad and bootleg ISOs on the net so you got to watch out! You shouldn't trust stuff you download from the net unless you check the sums and sigs.

Good luck :)

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I got sick of messing with it so I tried loading Mandriva which is good but trying to get my wireless card working was impossible so now I'm trying Nubuntu 8.12 apparently has some drivers prepackaged and I found a great guide for it! Wish me luck ad thanks for all the help.. and something tells me I will be back very soon :-/

MG87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Mandriga and nUbuntu were epic fails so I'm attempting Fedora as we speak.. they need one-command-and-done with 1 file to install all the drivers you could need to make this easy haha.

gokul2411s

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Guys I know this is many years later but please help. I am not an expert.

I tried installing Ubuntu and the grub loads with memtest. This is weird. And it wont let me do anything except restart.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem.

Please please please help. I got a new computer and had Windows 7 on it. I will be very sad if I cant use my computer just because I wanted to learn Linux.

Thanks.
Gokul.