degraded array "healthy" Hard Drives wont boot Windows

tbirdku

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I am a tech assistant working with scientists with valuable data. In this case, he has a Windows XP machine that is mirrored. when the computer is turned on, it says both hard drives are healthy but that the array is degraded. we have rebuilt the array a few times, with both times saying it worked, but to no avail. The computer will boot to the windows start up screen and just sit there, and not boot finish, tried safemode, and that stalls as well. we tried many disk utilities, thinkin it may be something with the boot sector or registry. Also tried chkdsk /r with the windows CD. none of this works and it is almost mandatory we get this information off of there, as the back up server went down a week ago and has put substantial information on his computer since then.

I figure the drives are good, since they come back healthy, but not 100% sure on anything at this point. Does anyone have any direction and what I may do next, or if this is a software, or possibly a hardware issue. The computer itself was formatted not to long ago and had been working perfect up to this point. Any help would be great. thanks.