Vista and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlflmmkr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I understand why Vista uses up every MB of RAM. I have 4GB and when I look at whats being used theres over 3.5gb thats cached and less than 100MB free. I know Vista loads up everything in RAM so it can try to use the harddrive as less as possible. Is there a way to trick Vista into thinking I have less RAM than I do so I have more free or some setting that will make vista use less. Also if I open a game or some other RAM intensive program is the RAM cleared out so I have more free RAM. I turned off alot of services that I dont need but that didnt help. I just want to know that Im using as much RAM as I can when playing a game or using photoshop.

Solution
Active applications receive RAM normally: Vista gives it up just the same as if it were empty. You aren't losing any performance by the memory being used or not.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Why on earth would you buy 4 gigs of RAM and not want it to be used?

If you don't want the RAM to be used, then remove it, otherwise, let windows do it's thing.

I suggest you print out this and next time you need to take a dump, read it.

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I don't think he wants his RAM not to be used, he just doesnt want Vista to hog a large amount so that he has as much as possible available for games and photoshop. I dont really have an answer, although it looks like Scotteq might ^

Status
Not open for further replies.