Sign in with
Your question

IE freezes linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
October 9, 2009 4:05:01 PM

I am running PCLinuxOS. When i run IE on WINE it runs great for about 20-30 minutes and then lags the system down like its using ALL available resources for it. The mouse still moves but it is jumpy and has 2-5 second delays. I can not accomplish anything when it does this. I have to force a powerdown and restart it to fix it.

More about : freezes linux

a b 5 Linux
October 9, 2009 10:52:02 PM

Have you checked the compatibility list on the Wine website? It may have some compatibility issues.

Why not use a faster, open-source browser such as Firefox or Opera? :) 
a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2009 3:53:39 AM

Would installing Firefox be a better idea?
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2009 6:18:40 AM

Firefox, Google Chrome, Konqueror and Opera are much better than IE :) 

Any web browser that has a working native Linux version will work a lot better than IE under WINE.
a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2009 6:37:18 AM

Why do you run IE when you can run Firefox with IE tab ;) 
a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2009 8:15:22 AM

:lol:  :) 

It's insecure no matter what you do :) 
a b 5 Linux
October 12, 2009 10:31:44 AM

Oh, I meant if you reaaaallly need IE.

Sorry Master...
October 15, 2009 12:34:30 AM

Is IE tab on firefox available for Linux?
a b 5 Linux
October 15, 2009 7:24:10 AM

Sorry, I have no idea I don't use it myself.

It should work since it is an add-on for the Gekco Firefox engine.

Just one question, why do you need this for?

IE tab is only useful for sites that require IE to function (0.01% of sites these days)
a b 5 Linux
October 19, 2009 6:19:31 PM

0.01% - Well hell I must be the unluckiest tech on the planet to have 3 to support, 5 to use on a daily basis and a bank that is IE only then.
October 19, 2009 6:46:07 PM

If you run IE6 in wine like me just for testing websites for display issues, it is best to install IE using winetricks or with a full-fledged Windows install in VirtualBox.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Other than that, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to run IE on Linux, or in general for that matter.
a b 5 Linux
October 19, 2009 11:00:53 PM

Unless the site is Web 2 and running on .NET with custom ActiveX controls like a lot of corporate crud is nowadays. I'm an avid FF fan but am afraid that MS really have managed to screw the world yet again with their own take on 'Standards'.
a b 5 Linux
October 20, 2009 1:15:19 AM

audiovoodoo said:
Unless the site is Web 2 and running on .NET with custom ActiveX controls like a lot of corporate crud is nowadays. I'm an avid FF fan but am afraid that MS really have managed to screw the world yet again with their own take on 'Standards'.

Pardon my ignorance beforehand. Firefox isn't compatible with these things simply due to patents I assume? Or is there an alternative reason?
a b 5 Linux
October 20, 2009 4:37:17 AM

Firefox does have a .net add-on right?
a b 5 Linux
October 21, 2009 5:36:56 PM

Pyroflea said:
Pardon my ignorance beforehand. Firefox isn't compatible with these things simply due to patents I assume? Or is there an alternative reason?

One that a lot of people miss is the support overhead. Better to have one known platform that you train support staff on than two. Some sites work hard to achieve incompatibility.
a b 5 Linux
October 21, 2009 5:37:06 PM

Yes, and for a lot of things it will work. Unfortunately our developers don't seem to like it. For some web based applications you need more config work than installing a client application. Personally I just don't get the obsession of making EVERYTHING web based.
October 22, 2009 8:56:06 AM

There, we've devied quite a lot from the OP's question... If he went to the trouble of installing IE 6 on Wine, it's probably because he needs access to a few IE-only websites.

Now, Wine will keep a monitoring process running along with Win32 apps it runs; it's called wineserver.

Instead of killing your whole system when it starts to lag, simply run the command (you can use Alt+F2 to open a quick command prompt in Gnome and KDE):

1. wineserver -k

which will shut down Wine and all Win32 apps currently running, normally recovering CPU time.
a b 5 Linux
October 22, 2009 6:41:16 PM

+1 Top tip. Thank's for concluding things mitch.
October 23, 2009 9:26:24 AM

Switch to Firefox. Microsoft Apps work okay(ish) on Windows Environments, but outside of them, they're like a bloated beached whale....
a b 5 Linux
October 23, 2009 10:53:01 AM

How does that help? He needs to use IE.
a b 5 Linux
October 23, 2009 12:13:45 PM

Firefox works on many IE sites if you change the user agent :) 

Better yet change your web development team! :lol: 
October 23, 2009 3:52:29 PM

@linux_o: while it is true that you can access websites that declare themselves "IE only" with a UA spoofing, it doesn't always work in practice as soon as the website relies upon:
- Jscript, making use of extensions to ECMAscript that are not part of Javascript (workaround: Opera and Webkit implements a great deal of those)
- IE's proprietary DOM 0 (workaround: Opera and Webkit implement some of those)
- ActiveX (workaround: ... none)

If the website doesn't belong to him, he can't change the team (at best, he can petition the website's owner for a more compatible web access - with banks, you know how successful this is)

Thus, IE 6 on Wine. IE 6 leaks like a sieve, consuming more and more resources. Workaround for CPU hogging: stop Wine and restart IE regularly.

...at least on Linux, you don't have to fear IE's buffer overflows...
November 27, 2009 5:52:30 PM

Get Mozilla Firefox would be my recommendation too. Impressive that Internet Explorer works at all, in my opinion.
December 9, 2009 2:47:52 PM

So far as I understand it, you can't actually run Internet Explorer under Wine, because Microsoft brilliantly build their browser into the core of their operating system.

The "Internet Explorer" that you run under Wine is actually using the Gecko rendering engine, so I don't think you'd actually be viewing your site with IE anyhow. So don't bother using "IE" under Wine if you're only doing so to test your site in the Microsoft browser. You'll have to actually boot into Windows and test your site there.

It's for this reason that I don't bother to test my site in Internet Explorer. If Microsoft won't make their "free" software cross-platform, then I'm not going to bother testing with it.
December 9, 2009 3:21:09 PM

TegGhola said:
So far as I understand it, you can't actually run Internet Explorer under Wine, because Microsoft brilliantly build their browser into the core of their operating system.

The "Internet Explorer" that you run under Wine is actually using the Gecko rendering engine, so I don't think you'd actually be viewing your site with IE anyhow. So don't bother using "IE" under Wine if you're only doing so to test your site in the Microsoft browser. You'll have to actually boot into Windows and test your site there.

It's for this reason that I don't bother to test my site in Internet Explorer. If Microsoft won't make their "free" software cross-platform, then I'm not going to bother testing with it.

With VirtualBox you wouldn't need to boot into Windows to use Internet Explorer.
December 9, 2009 3:45:21 PM

True, but you'd still need a licence for Windows to legally install an image using virtualisation software. And, knowing Microsoft, I'm guessing that they'd consider a virtual machine a separate licensable entity to your physical machine, so just using the licence you use for your dual-boot probably wouldn't satisfy their lust for cash.
December 9, 2009 4:17:53 PM

IE Tab requires IE.

I Just uses VirtualBox.
!