Sign in with
Your question

Vista woes...

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 9, 2007 9:20:28 AM

I hope this is the right area for this post, i previously posted in General Homebuilt with these issues - because that's what my machine is - but got no help because i was told i posted in the wrong area lol.

I built the system earlier this year on Vista 32bit and i have had intermittent problems with it up until now. Originally i was getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL upon installation but when i upped the voltage to 1.9v for the memory everything was super.

I bough C&C 3 and DiRT and upped the resolution on my graphics card and, after doing so, i got a message in the event viewer saying 'video memory resources are being over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result'. I lowered the resolution to 1600x1200 to compensate, however, this message is still there. As time goes by the system seems to be getting worse- when it is turned on the hard drive is busy for at least 10 minutes, it is very difficult to get programs open in this time, though they do eventually open.

Twice in the past weeks i have been casually surfing the net whilst listening to music and the system BSODs with the same error above and another one which i wrote down but cannot find. Programs, as well as the OS, and games freeze unexpectedly, most of the time eventually sorting themselves out. If not task manager is the only way to sort the problem out.

I did a scan on Driveragent and it picked up NVIDIA Sata Controller as bad as well as nForce Networking controller and the High Definition Audio Device. I have since solved the Sata controller issue but the other two remain (judging by the scan i did).

Event viewer is full of errors specifically: IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 15, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance. I have seen other posts about this elsewhere and on the surrport site at Microsoft it states that it can be safely ignored. Can this be causing problems at all?

abit KN9S mobo
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
Crucial 2bg DDR2 800mhz
BFG 7900GS OC
Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT
Samsung Spinpoint SATA 2 250GB
Seagate Barracuda SATA 2 80GB
Corsair HX 530 PSU

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks in advance

riskyfrisky

More about : vista woes

December 9, 2007 6:32:30 PM

Well... I did see your post in the other forum BTW, but didn't respond because I really don't know whats up.

When you installed Vista, did you load the motherboard drivers from the disc, or did you let Vista do its own thing? If it needed a driver that it couldn't find, did you get it from where it recommended?

In XP I had to use the disc with the MB drivers for it to work correctly. But with Vista I don't have to install anything except the driver for my USB Gamepad and the ATI driver.

Have you tried to just to a reinstall of Vista? That will solve most problems unless its hardware related.

Note I said "most" problems. Just the other day I was forced to reinstall Vista, somehow the MBR got screwed up. I had to reformat the disk twice before it installed properly again.
m
l
December 10, 2007 4:03:07 PM

SinxarKnights- thanks for at least trying to help, i am aware that this is a weird problem but all help is appreciated.

When i installed Vista i used the mobo drivers that were on the disc, and later ones straight from NVIDIA. I noticed on another post here that someone was also getting the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and that it is something specific with NVIDIA chip sets, which is being looked at and is simply a waiting game?

I haven't tried reinstalling Vista as yet, i was hoping to avoid this method but it looks like it may be the only option left to me.

Do you also have any idea whether the 7900GS is being pushed too far at a 1600x1200 resolution? I was under the impression that it could handle that sort of setting without hassle? The problem is that the monitor i have which is the BenQ FP241W has way too high a native resolution than the car can handle- this i will sort with a 8800 graph card but not just yet.

Again thanks for your help

riskyfrisky
m
l
December 10, 2007 5:37:58 PM

I would just make some backups and reinstall Vista. As I'm sure you know, dealing with OS problems over long periods of time can be exhausting.

I never tried to play at that resolution so I cannot give you a good answer on that. But I would say that if you play at that resolution you might have to turn off a lot of eye candy to get playable frames from that card. I own a X1650XT so I can't say for sure about that.

Try running memtest86+ for a few hours if that checks out OK then get Prime95 and run the torture test (one on each core - Google can help you with that) any errors show up. If they do you could have a hardware issue.
m
l
!