What is the best linux os

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I am planning to build myself a computer and I am planing to download a version of linux, but I am not sure what version to download I was thinking to use ubuntu. But I am still not sure weather it is the best or not, please help.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

There is no "best". That's like asking what is the best flavor of ice cream, ask 20 people get 20 answers. The most like windows7 is probably Mint and the most common is Ubuntu. If you go to distrowatch.com you can get descriptions and download links, look to the right of the home page for a ranking by hits, that's a good list of the more popular versions. Any version of Linux can be dual installed which means side by side with windows, you have to decide which you are going to use at startup. If you want to know if you can run the two simultaneously the answer is only in a virtual machine (google VMware for an explanation).

I think @Satya is kind of confused - he/she thinks that "Linux" is Windows application to be downloaded and run inside Windows. While this is quite possible, Linus is another operating sytem, completely replacing Windows.

It is possible, however, to run Linux inside Virtual Machine with Windows as a host.

h8dkngrg8

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 22, 2015
Dude if you're a first time user and have no previous experience with Linux, then in your case especially when you're building a new PC, it goes by the rule of thumb that you should use Linux as a secondary operating system and Windows as a main one and if you feel that you could work with it then remove windows if not then do it the other way.

It is reccomended that first time users not abandon Windows completely because the transition is not as easy for many.

But ignore this if you're a longtime user or are installing linux on a spare computer for trying.

Here are my best:-

Ubuntu:- My personal favorite, best one for a newbie and always will be my "gateway" distro

KodiUbuntu/XMCBubuntu :- Turns any spare PC you have into an almost complete media solution

PearOS :- Many use this because of its resemblance to Apple iOS, although its been discontinued.

ArchLinux:- Lets you select what you want from ground up, very stable. Not acquainted with building it? Many pre-built Arch based distros exist.

Puppy Arcade:- Turn your old PC into a wayback retro machine. Very lightweight as it is based on Puppy Linux.

Many many more http://distrowatch.com/

Almost everyday someone comes up with something, but in the end what you want matters and the best linux distro can only be decided by you.