Solved

Win98SE Installation on Dell Dimension 3100

Hey everyone, I'm new here and stuff, mild experience with computers and software. I'm a fan of legacy computing, and I love older games, along with last-gen 2000's games, which are what I grew up with. Anyways, my mother brought a computer home from work a while ago, a Dell Dimension 3100. The specifics are as follows:
RAM: 1GB (2x512, I think DDR2)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, ~3.06GHz, hyperthreading is optional.
Sound/Video: Integrated, Intel HDA
Connectors: 1xVGA only, no PS/2 ports, only USB, integrated networking.
I'm only using what came with the computer now, the only chip in it was an internal 56k modem I removed.

My problem here is installing Windows 98SE. It installs on this computer, but it hangs on the Windows splash screen (clouds and stuff, Win98 logo). I'm running Windows 7 on it now, but I'd like to re-install Windows 98 ASAP. Can anyone help? It boots up into safe mode fine.

Note: When it hung on that screen, I left it for over 24 hours and it was still hanging.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about win98se installation dell dimension 3100
  1. Windows 98 chokes on more than 512MB of RAM. Remove one stick of memory and that problem will be solved. Then you just need to search for drivers. . .
  2. I tried that once, but the same problem arose. It could have been due to the fact that I might not have reinstalled Windows after the RAM change. I've also heard that Windows 98 doesn't support Pentium 4.
  3. Best answer
    Oh yes, the too-fast-CPU problem! Windows 98 will not boot with a CPU that is clocked over 2.1 Ghz.
  4. Ah... so that explains it. It was 3 GHz.
  5. Best answer selected by spamdude1992.
  6. You can still run Win98 in a virtual machine on your computer if you disable hardware acceleration so that the emulated CPU speed is not above 2.1Ghz.

Or, you might be able to under-clock that CPU, and that will reduce the power usage also ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows