Nvidia is verrrry verrrrry sneaky(deeds)

Wolfshadw

Titan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133188

gts 640 dropped 100 dollars to 350... G_G XT.

Ummm... The EVGA 8800GTS-640 has been $389 (with a $30 MIR) for a couple weeks at Newegg. Not sure where you got $100 from, but nice to see the $30 drop. (Still not ordering it... yet).

-Wolf sends

lol aLdaRiS, that really sucks.

$350 for a 640MB GTS sounds very tempting but I also have a 320MB.

Still $100 (well $80) more than the 320, that's still a chunk of change that may or may not be worth it depending on settings.

If the 640 is worth that much more than the 320, then definitely the GTX is worth the $100 more than the GTS.

Well, I'd have to say the value of the 640 vs 320 only will come in with resolution, around 1680*1050 is where I'd put the limit on the 320's capabilities, while anything under that the 320 should be fine

But the gtx is on a totally different level imo

Yeah the only thing is the while the jump from ~$360+ to ~$470+ is a huge psychological leap. I think that return is better fps+future / $ than the jump from the GTS-320 to GTS-640. Especially considering overclocking both of them closes the gap of an OC'd 320 vs OC'ed 640.

I know the GTS-320 has visible weaknesses, but really I don't see the GTS-640 as a better long-term strategy than saving that price difference and re-investing it when the overclocked GTS-320 can't handle games, cause that's likely when the GTS-640 will struggle too.

captain_triton

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Wrong. At 1680X1050res along with some AA and AF the 320mb 8800GTS really starts to take a dive compared to that of a 640mb 8800GTS. And its only going to get worse in some of these future titles with complex textures eating into GPU ram.

Oh gods not this idiot again. Perhaps an IP ban is in order.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Wrong. At 1680X1050res along with some AA and AF the 320mb 8800GTS really starts to take a dive compared to that of a 640mb 8800GTS. And its only going to get worse in some of these future titles with complex textures eating into GPU ram.

Oh gods not this idiot again. Perhaps an IP ban is in order.
He just got banned today, and I am sure an IP ban has been issued. He was apparently able to figure out how to use proxies.

Wrong. At 1680X1050res along with some AA and AF the 320mb 8800GTS really starts to take a dive compared to that of a 640mb 8800GTS.

You're missing what I'm saying. I agree it does dive, but the same dive is felt for the GTS-640 compared to the GTX, and even more so as we push beyond where the GTS-640 comes back towards the GTS-320, but the GTX stays way out in front.

So like I said, fps/$ throughout the available performance range the two ends of the spectrum hold up better IMO.
You can disagree if you want, I'm not about to bother arguing beyond explaining my position.

And its only going to get worse in some of these future titles with complex textures eating into GPU ram.

The only future games that would have that issue are OpenGL games like Quake Wars that use MegaTextures, instead of using memory saving write-outs and render from buffers. And that method can already occur on all cards with Oblivion running insane 4kx4k textures (or the option of 8x8 if someone like Quarg made them).

I disagree about the future of the GTS, and think that of all the weak points the memory isn't going to be as much of a problem as the weakness of the core. Which is why I say the 320->640 won't matter as much as the GTS=>GTX period.

At this point in time that's what I believe based on my knowledge, but I doubt anyone would disagree with even the numbers now with regards to the %performance diff / $ price difference. The only way the GTS-640 comes close to either is bringing it close to the GTX by doing % price difference, but that again brings it further away from a GTS-320.

Anywhoo, now that I've explained it, I'm goin' to bed, might be skiin' tomorrow, and waking up in 6 hours either way just to check. 8)

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
$350 for a GTS 640mb!? Damn, I wish Nvidia would release GOOD Vista drivers for the 8800's. I'm stuck with the Geforce 7 series when the 8800 GTS is now in my price range.

No your missing what I am saying and being stubborn and bullheaded as usual. :roll:
Hello Kettle, thy name is pot.

Hardly :roll: . Im not the one that continues to argue even after bone hard VISUAL EVIDENCE IS THROWN INTO MY FACE as you morons continue to do.

Just like what is going on right here-

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ftopic-230573-200.html
Right. Bottleneck. Whatever.

I have a question Rob, if I may refer to you by your real name, if you think Toms forums is so full of noobs and morons, and people that love bottlenecking their systems and all that bullshit you continue to go on about, why, when you continue to get banned, do you come back?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
No your missing what I am saying and being stubborn and bullheaded as usual. :roll:
Hello Kettle, thy name is pot.

Hardly :roll: . Im not the one that continues to argue even after bone hard VISUAL EVIDENCE IS THROWN INTO MY FACE as you morons continue to do.

Just like what is going on right here-

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ftopic-230573-200.htmlActually, you are the one THAT CONTINUES TO ARGUE AFTER NUMEROUS BANNINGS :!: You just admitted who you are, so why don't you lighten up and talk to people like a normal adult before you get banned for the 6th time. or is it 7 now?

I find it hilarious that we are all morons, yet YOU are the one the continues to repeat the same thing without applying any real though to it, AND YOU are the one that continues to get banned, while we are all still here. There must be a conspiracy against you or something.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
First off, the only claim I've made is that you are an insulting moron. AND I HAVE PLENTY of visual evidence of that. Though I must admit, I would have far more if your posts didn't keep getting deleted by the mods when you get banned.

Second, most of your "visual evidence" doesn't even support what you are trying to say, and you have absolutely no clue what the definition of a bottleneck is, or that people's definitions of value vary greatly.

I have a question Rob, if I may refer to you by your real name, if you think Toms forums is so full of noobs and morons, and people that love bottlenecking their systems and all that bullshit you continue to go on about, why, when you continue to get banned, do you come back?

Well because its pretty obvious that when being out numbered by Thousands Of Idiots that me being the only person here with a damn clue will be the one to get all the ridicule.
So you admit who you are. Hnn. We're getting somewhere.

You still didn't answer my question.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Second, most of your "visual evidence" doesn't even support what you are trying to say, and you have absolutely no clue what the definition of a bottleneck is, or that people's definitions of value vary greatly.

Keep telling yourself that douchebag :roll:You don't win an argument by slinging around insults. :roll:

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

Well because its pretty obvious that when being out numbered by Thousands Of Idiots that me being the only person here with a damn clue will be the one to get all the ridicule.

If you don't like it here, then go somewhere else. It's obvious to all of THG that your only useful purpose here is for comic relief, so if you want to be more than that go where people like you are accepted. I think Goetse is taking applications.

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
You are out of your mind if you think a 320mb 8800GTS will have enough Vram for Crysis at 1680X1050 with any amount of AA and AF applied.

Of course the GTS-640 will be faster at those settings... but will either card even be playable in Crysis with those settings? I doubt it.

cwj717

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I would advise anyone doubting or pondering on getting a 320mb 8800GTS instead of the 640mb 8800GTS to read these links first as they are very informative.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926&p=4

With 4xAA enabled, the story takes a dramatic turn. Scaling of the 320MB 8800 GTS is simply atrocious, moving from third out of eight at 16x12 to dead last at 2560x1600. The game becomes unplayable at our highest resolution test, and the impact of less memory in this situation is incredibly clear.

Those tests were done at extreme resolutions... I don't think anyone with a panel res of 2560x1600 would even be considering a GTS-320. Why would they pay so much for a panel but so little for a video card?