Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help - Remove non-existent CDROM drive

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 23, 2007 9:36:52 AM

At some time, my laptop had the CDROM drive replaced. However, the old CDROM drive is still showing in System Information. How can this be removed?

System Information shows two optical drives: -
Logical Drive D: CDROM HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241D
Logical Drive F: CDROM ML3032L OLU607O SCSI

Drive D: is an LG CD/DVD drive which is fitted, but has problems recognising some disks.
Drive F: is not fitted.

The BIOS shows only one CD/DVD, a Secondary Master.
I've tried removing Drive F: from System Hardware, but cannot.
I'd appreciate help.
November 25, 2007 12:05:39 AM

Try this. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on the Drive letter and Click Change Letter. One of your options is to Remove See if that works, just make sure you Click on the Drive you want to get rid of
November 25, 2007 7:19:28 AM

Thanks g-paw, but prior to posting, I did all the normal Computer Management things.

The problem was solved when I realised that this was a 'ghost' entry and the removal of 'Daemon tools', which had been used by the previous owner of the laptop, got rid of the non-existent hardware!
Related resources
November 25, 2007 7:25:22 AM

yeah daemon tools. Does alot for me though
November 25, 2007 11:51:45 AM

Glad you figured it out.
December 25, 2007 9:12:47 AM

Gpaw thanks for the advice, I have a Samsung 300ld Hd which had a error during the install of XP PRO, i had partitioned the drivr into 4 drives after the install I had 5 and 250G was unusable, I followed your instructions and IT"S FIXED,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you
December 25, 2007 11:16:47 AM

gone fishin' said:
Gpaw thanks for the advice, I have a Samsung 300ld Hd which had a error during the install of XP PRO, i had partitioned the drivr into 4 drives after the install I had 5 and 250G was unusable, I followed your instructions and IT"S FIXED,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you


Glad it worked for you, Santa comes through :) 
February 12, 2008 7:07:36 AM

I have a problematical variation.
I have a non-existant CD drive listed on the My Computer list with a letter I need for another drive (don't ask!). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear in the devices list or computer management list, so I cannot remove it or change it's allocated letter. Any ideas?
Thanks
February 14, 2008 5:24:00 PM

When you are in the device manager goto VIEW and then select SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES. This should show the drive. From there you can delete it if it shows up.
February 26, 2008 5:06:26 PM

No. It doesn't show there.
December 9, 2008 3:52:11 PM

Came here from a search because I had three non existent discs. Many thanks for the help.
Anonymous
December 25, 2008 6:44:12 AM

thanks - it was a removable drive on my computer but it worked great and was very quick.
Cheers
Tom
February 10, 2009 6:28:30 PM

Cibalia said:
I have a problematical variation.
I have a non-existant CD drive listed on the My Computer list with a letter I need for another drive (don't ask!). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear in the devices list or computer management list, so I cannot remove it or change it's allocated letter. Any ideas?
Thanks





CIBALIA

Do you have any CD Emulation software on your computer? ie Alcohol 120, PowerISO etc etc?
Anonymous
March 6, 2009 1:39:22 AM

I have exactly the same problem than Cibalia and yes, I have installed powerISO in my PC. Amy suggestions?
March 29, 2009 5:02:50 AM

g-paw said:
Try this. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on the Drive letter and Click Change Letter. One of your options is to Remove See if that works, just make sure you Click on the Drive you want to get rid of


G Paw

I had a non existent A: drive (3 1/2 in Floopy) appear out of nowhere earlier this evening. I followed your instructions, but the A drive wasn't recognizable in Disk Management....after stumbling around, I opened Device Manager and there was Floppy Disk and Floppy Disk Controller...right clicking and removing did the trick. Forwarding this in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Bill
July 29, 2009 4:18:38 PM

Aha i had the same prob and yes i had poweriso running didnt even realise it lol thanks for the info
After i shut poweriso down i could change my drive letter back for my portable HDD
September 29, 2009 4:38:58 PM

I have a similar problem. I have six non-existent drives (letters F-K) and they do not show up in Computer Management, or device manager. They only appear in MyComputer or Explorer in general. I have never had and don't have any virtual cd software installed.
I believe the drives are a throwback from previously mounted usb keydrives that left the ghost drives. I have shutdown, restarted and tried refreshing the explorer window all with no success.
The drives only started appearing in the past 6 hours or so and I have not installed anything in that time nor have i run anything unusual aside from my browsers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
October 6, 2009 3:54:47 PM

Well the problem continued for several days and got to the point that non-existent drives reached F-P but yesterday, without any intervention on my part, after I restarted my PC the problem was resolved. Not sure why or how it started and not sure what fixed it but it's fixed either way :D 
!