Is compiled version of Quake Available for d/l?

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
of Quake I available to download?

Best Regards
4 answers Last reply
More about compiled version quake
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:

    >Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
    >software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
    >of Quake I available to download?

    Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.

    Usually, you need to look for packages such as "QuakeForge", or "Tenebrae".
    There have slight differences, but have the advantage of additional
    features without compromizing the original game.

    Plenty can be found here: http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/Engines

    If you want, you could ask a person that you know that has compiled such a
    version. (You'll get the source code with the binary - it's the only way
    it may be legally distributed.)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
    >>software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
    >>of Quake I available to download?
    >>

    > Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.

    Of course it is: id has the last official version (1.06) available
    (http://www.idsoftware.com/), as well as QuakeWorld
    (http://www.quakeworld.net/), GLQuake, etc. (look in
    ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/) Of course, none of these include the
    game's data files. You can get the demo (first episode of 4), but for the
    whole game you need to pay (there is an online download, but the price is
    exorbitant - US$25!!!).

    > Usually, you need to look for packages such as "QuakeForge", or
    > "Tenebrae".
    > There have slight differences, but have the advantage of additional
    > features without compromizing the original game.
    >
    > Plenty can be found here: http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/Engines
    >
    > If you want, you could ask a person that you know that has compiled such a
    > version. (You'll get the source code with the binary - it's the only way
    > it may be legally distributed.)

    You may also want to try fuhquake (http://www.fuhquake.net/) or the equake
    package that also includes it and lots of other useful stuff (such as the
    All-Seeing Eye and various handy utilities), including some levels
    (http://equake.quakeworld.nu/)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:13:08 GMT, "Matthew Vaughan"
    <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
    >>>software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
    >>>of Quake I available to download?
    >>>

    >> Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.
    >
    >Of course it is: id has the last official version (1.06) available
    >(http://www.idsoftware.com/), as well as QuakeWorld
    >(http://www.quakeworld.net/), GLQuake, etc. (look in
    >ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/)

    The poster was probably referring to version 1.09. I'm aware of the
    eariler versions, but didn't count them (as they have a bit more bugs.)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

    bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in

    > The poster was probably referring to version 1.09. I'm aware of the
    > eariler versions, but didn't count them (as they have a bit more
    > bugs.)
    >
    >V1.09 is "WinQuake". The last official version of GLQuake was 1.08 and
    the same goes for DOS Quake. The last version of VQuake (Rendition
    Verite chipsets) was 1.07. Quakeworld has the unofficial GLQuake 1.13
    avilable for download and it has fog, shadows, weapons flash and bump
    mapping available.

    If you want more eye-candy then there's TomazQuake 1.48 which adds real
    time shadows and lighting, better flames and smoke. Telejano adds new
    particles and effects. Tanebrae goes the whole hog and ends up lookning
    like Doom 3, including new high res textures available for download,
    Quake 3 MD3 models and "special versions" for mission packs 1 & 2.
    You'd better have good hardware though.

    I reccommensd either TomazQuake 1.48 or GLQuake 1.13 for better
    compatibility with old MODS.

Download Games Software Video Games