Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is compiled version of Quake Available for d/l?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
of Quake I available to download?

Best Regards

More about : compiled version quake

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:56:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:

>Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
>software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
>of Quake I available to download?
>

Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.

Usually, you need to look for packages such as "QuakeForge", or "Tenebrae".
There have slight differences, but have the advantage of additional
features without compromizing the original game.

Plenty can be found here: http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/Engines

If you want, you could ask a person that you know that has compiled such a
version. (You'll get the source code with the binary - it's the only way
it may be legally distributed.)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:13:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:6bjea1p477v2ho91uhbqtv0orvtdj8ae1a@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
>>software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
>>of Quake I available to download?
>>
>
> Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.

Of course it is: id has the last official version (1.06) available
(http://www.idsoftware.com/), as well as QuakeWorld
(http://www.quakeworld.net/), GLQuake, etc. (look in
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/) Of course, none of these include the
game's data files. You can get the demo (first episode of 4), but for the
whole game you need to pay (there is an online download, but the price is
exorbitant - US$25!!!).

> Usually, you need to look for packages such as "QuakeForge", or
> "Tenebrae".
> There have slight differences, but have the advantage of additional
> features without compromizing the original game.
>
> Plenty can be found here: http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/Engines
>
> If you want, you could ask a person that you know that has compiled such a
> version. (You'll get the source code with the binary - it's the only way
> it may be legally distributed.)

You may also want to try fuhquake (http://www.fuhquake.net/) or the equake
package that also includes it and lots of other useful stuff (such as the
All-Seeing Eye and various handy utilities), including some levels
(http://equake.quakeworld.nu/)
Related resources
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:13:08 GMT, "Matthew Vaughan"
<matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>news:6bjea1p477v2ho91uhbqtv0orvtdj8ae1a@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:49:02 -0500, "Ray Miller" <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Since the Quake I source code is available for free download from ID
>>>software's website (and Quake II for that matter), is the compiled version
>>>of Quake I available to download?
>>>
>>
>> Unmodified Quake I? Not to my knowledge offhand.
>
>Of course it is: id has the last official version (1.06) available
>(http://www.idsoftware.com/), as well as QuakeWorld
>(http://www.quakeworld.net/), GLQuake, etc. (look in
>ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/)

The poster was probably referring to version 1.09. I'm aware of the
eariler versions, but didn't count them (as they have a bit more bugs.)
July 8, 2005 8:00:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in
news:8v94b15m1o75bmjinirec80pkt6t4agauq@4ax.com:

>
> The poster was probably referring to version 1.09. I'm aware of the
> eariler versions, but didn't count them (as they have a bit more
> bugs.)
>
>V1.09 is "WinQuake". The last official version of GLQuake was 1.08 and
the same goes for DOS Quake. The last version of VQuake (Rendition
Verite chipsets) was 1.07. Quakeworld has the unofficial GLQuake 1.13
avilable for download and it has fog, shadows, weapons flash and bump
mapping available.

If you want more eye-candy then there's TomazQuake 1.48 which adds real
time shadows and lighting, better flames and smoke. Telejano adds new
particles and effects. Tanebrae goes the whole hog and ends up lookning
like Doom 3, including new high res textures available for download,
Quake 3 MD3 models and "special versions" for mission packs 1 & 2.
You'd better have good hardware though.

I reccommensd either TomazQuake 1.48 or GLQuake 1.13 for better
compatibility with old MODS.
!