old xp disk on new PC

F1speed

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I've got a Windows XP Home Edition OEM software disk + activation key, which I purchased from an online retailer (ncix.com) along with my old system. I'm now building a new PC, and planning on scrapping the old one.

Is it possible to use that same WinXP CD to boot and install WinXP on my new system? If not, what would be preventing me from doing so? Will the activation key not work on my new system, or would the conflict occur while trying to install Windows due to detection of new hardware?

Thanks! If there were existing threads on this that I missed, please point me to them.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You can install it but you'll have to call Microsoft to activate. If they asked why, just tell them you've had to replace some components, e.g., hdd, RAM, and sound card. As long as you're running on only once computer you're fine. Done this any number of times and never a problem and no one ever gave me a hard time.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

The license for XP only allows you to run it on one computer at a time, which means legally you'd have to remove it from your old computer. Of course when asked you could tell them you were only running it on one machine even if it were installed on more than one but I don't know if this would affect your ability to get updates. While you can run pirated copies of Windows on a machine as often as not you cannot do updates. I don't have a clue how Microsoft knows when you're running "Genuine" Windows and how running a copy on 2 or more machines affects updates. You could try running it on 2 machines and see what happens but I want Bill to know I'm not advocating this, don't want him taking my house :)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If the board "dies" and needs to be replaced, you can use the one you have